Chapter 27

Lance Taylor

Ever since Jonah and I had our full out brawl in detention, we'd been under supervision. It had lightened up on my end only when Jonah had gotten Luna in trouble. Aurum hadn't been convinced that Luna was all to blame it seemed.

But still, I could feel our Professors eyes on me at any moment except the evenings. It seemed they were all hell bent on forcing us to get along. Jonah and I had been forced to sit with each other at meals and class time and were partnered for anything and everything.

It sucked.

The worst thing was that I hadn't gotten anything good from the fight. Anvi had come back just in time to save me from much punishment but had also just missed any redeeming moments. Now, everything was back to its normal miserable self.

I sighed heavily, trying to faze Ryker. He didn't even flinch. Vielryn, the little turquoise dragon, scuttled across the floor, chasing a small spider, huffing and puffing. He was slow and out of shape.

I sighed again. This time Ryker glared at me from across the room. "You can't be tired yet. It's not even seven."

"I didn't yawn," I defended. Vielryn sat down heavily, glaring at me as well, as if it had been my fault he was fat and couldn't catch a stupid spider.

"Then what's with the heavy sighing?" Ryker accused.

"I'm so bored."

"Why don't you go abuse one of our teammates then?" Ryker snapped. I realized he was actually angry with me, but I couldn't think of what I'd done to him. He couldn't actually be upset about my fight with Jonah, right?

"If this is about the day Anvi came back, just know, that he definitely deserved it," I started. Ryker shot me a confused look.

"What? Who?"

"Jonah," I frowned. What else would he mean?

"You mean you're a jerk to him too? Jesus, Lance, why are you so angry at the world?"

"What? What were you talking about?" I exclaimed. "And I'm not angry at the world. Jonah was saying some very rude things and we got into a fight during detention."

"During detention?"

"Yeah, like I said though, he deserved it," I grumbled.

"What the hell did he do?" Ryker exclaimed, though he didn't seem angry; just curious.

"He said some very offensive things," I muttered.

"You'd know a lot about that," Ryker grimaced. I glared in response. "What did he say?"

"He was just poking at me. Trying to make me angry, you know?"

"Lance, what did he say?"

"I can't exactly remember-"

"What did he say?"

"Maybe something about my parents?" I pretended to be thinking about it. Ryker wasn't having any of it.

"Lance!"

"Alright fine!" I snapped. "He said Anvi was probably dead."

"Oh," Ryker fell silent. "But-"

"He said I probably hoped she was dead too," I drew in an angry breath. "Said it would save me from telling my parents that I had anything to do with an Insignis."

Ryker ground his teeth at the word. "You're right he did deserve it," he admitted, rubbing his wrists anxiously. "But why did you fight him. You do hate her."