3 | history is bullshit

Of course I had to be late on the first day of the semester. Megan had tried to wake me twice, but evidently, I'd managed to fall back to sleep within seconds. Once I'd showered, I'd dressed into my awful uniform. The knee length skirt made me cringe, and I folded it over at the top three times so it came to my mid-thigh. I knew it would land me into some kind of trouble, but it was worth it to not look like I'd just arrived from the nunnery. I raced down to breakfast, although most people had already finished and were leaving the dining hall. By the time the bell went for my first class, I was only halfway through my cereal. Pulling my timetable from the front pocket of my shirt, I looked at which lessons I had: History, Science, French, and English.

Sighing, I left the rest of my breakfast, grabbing my notepad and pen and making my way to class. By the time I found my classroom, I was already five minutes late.

Miss Bowen was perched on the front of her desk, talking to the class, when I walked in. Fifteen pairs of eyes came my way as I opened the door, sixteen if you included Miss Bowen's disapproving ones. She raised her eyebrows, shaking her head ever so slightly.

"Sorry I'm late Miss, duty called," I chirped, taking the empty seat in the centre of the front row (possibly the worst possible place to sit in a classroom).

"And what duty would that be, Miss Luis?"

I smiled, opening my notebook to a new page and biting down on the lid of my pen, pulling it from my teeth to separate it from the pen. I took the lid from my mouth. "Breakfast."

"Breakfast ended fifteen minutes ago. Was there a reason it took you so long to get here?"

"Well sure," I leant forwards in my seat, resting my forearms on the desk. "I didn't particularly want to be here, so I took the longer route." I flashed her another smile, and heard a number of sniggers around the classrooms.

Miss Bowen knew I was testing her patience, but she seemed determined not to back down. She folded her arms. "Well, Evelyn, what made you not want to come to class today?"

"Hm, now that's a tricky one," I lifted on arm, resting my chin on my hand as I pretended to think. "Perhaps it might be because History literally means learning about the past, and therefore it's completely fucking useless and won't help me at all in life today. But other than that, I cannot wait to learn."

A number of breaths drew in around the classroom; evidently all of these girls were not used to being around someone willing to push buttons. I knew it would get me in trouble, but a part of me wanted to get a rise out of Miss Bowen. Maybe I wanted her attention, though I couldn't understand why.

Miss Bowen stared at me, seemingly trying to work out how she could respond. "Evelyn, I think you'll find that History is a very important part of our society, and affects everything we do today. If you continue to use such language in my classroom then you can leave. Understood?" Her tone was harsh and stern, and I liked it.

I tried to refrain from smiling, but I felt the corners of my lips curl. Bowing my head, I regained my composure and looked at her once again. "Understood, Ma'am."

Clearly irritated, she turned to the blackboard, scrawling words that I had no interest in. Over the next hour, she picked on me various times to see if I was still listening. Most of the time, I wasn't. I found myself getting distracted by her, and forgetting to listen to the words coming from her lips. At the end of the lesson, she said, "Stay behind, Evelyn."

The rest of the class packed up their things and made their way to their next lessons. I gathered my books and sat on the front of my desk. Miss Bowen stood in front of hers, arms folded, brow furrowed.