46 | 4am

My body jump-started as the sound of a fist knocking on my front door awoke me suddenly in the early hours of the morning. I sat bolt upright, my breath hitching in my throat and eyes widening in the blackness of my bedroom. Another three taps at the door. I cursed under my breath, my heart drumming in my chest. My first thought was Patrick, that he'd come to get revenge after the night's events. If it was him, there was no chance he was leaving without me opening the door. Perhaps he'd break it down if it didn't answer... I swallowed the lump in my throat, gritting my teeth and sliding out of my bed. I shivered as my bare arms and legs hit the cooler air, tiptoeing through my apartment, my hands feeling the walls to guide me as my eyes began to adjust to the lack of light.

By the time I reached the door, whoever was on the other side had knocked again, and I bit my lip nervously, closing my eyes fleetingly.

After what felt like a lifetime, I reached for the handle shakily, opening the door a crack so a sliver of the hallway outside my apartment was visible. And there she was, shivering outside my door with matted hair and swollen red eyes. I clenched my jaw the moment I laid eyes on her, moving my arm to push the door closed again. Her hand whipped out from by her side, her palm pressing against the door to stop me from shutting it. "Evie," she began in a hoarse voice. "Please."

"Leave me alone," I retorted with a shake of my head. "You've made yourself clear. I know where your loyalties lie."

Alex shook her head, and as my eyes adjusted to the light, I noticed just how rough she looked. "I know you were telling the truth," she whispered, tears rolling over her waterline. "I'm so sorry that I didn't believe you, but I couldn't bring myself too."

I rolled my eyes, my teeth still gritted. "Why are you even here? Go home, Alex. I don't want to hear it."

"I'm here because I've got no where else to go," she said, bursting into quiet sobs as she spoke. She removed her hand from the door, lifting it to her face and wiping her cheeks with the back of her hand. "I've got no one, Evie. Everything I had is just gone, it's all gone."

My heart broke as I listened to her crying, but I didn't know how best to handle this situation. I didn't want to forgive her, I wanted to slam the door in her face and tell her to steer well clear of me, but I knew I could never do that to her. Instead, I pursued my lips with a sigh, stepping backwards and opening the door wide enough for her to walk in. I noticed the small silver suitcase by her ankles, and realised that that was probably the entirety of her belongings. I hoped she had left him for good. He was a piece of shit, and he didn't deserve to even breathe the same air as someone like her.

Alex's eyes were glossy with tears as I beckoned her in, and she stepped into my apartment sheepishly, leaving her suitcase by the door as I closed it behind her. I switched on the lamp, squinting as the room illuminated a cosy orange. In the light, I suddenly realised that her arms and legs were covered in cuts and scrapes and mud. Her hair was tangled and matted, her dress—once pristine and white—was dirty and torn at the bottom. My eyes trailed back up to meet hers, my anger now long gone, replaced with concern and worry.

"What did he do to you?" I asked shakily, almost afraid of the answer.

Her lips quivered as she tried to stop herself from crying. "I looked through his phone and found out that he was talking to eight or nine different girls at once, spinning them the same story, going by different names. We argued for hours and when I tried to leave he chased me down the street. I fell over a lot because I was running so fast... I just can't believe this has happened, Evie," she sobbed, running a hand through her hair as her tears dripped onto the carpet beneath her feet.

I suddenly wanted to kill him. He was twisted and cold and this was what he did best; he lied and spun these erroneous stories to get women to feel sorry for him. Little did they know, he was everything they had been taught to fear.