28 | sex

Her eyes immediately fell upon the cigarette between my lips, before moving to my face, and her expression changed from angry to concerned. It was clear that she could tell I'd been crying.

I decided not to bother hiding the cigarette, it was too late now anyway. Instead, I exhaled, the cloud of smoke appearing between her and I, and I didn't remove my gaze from her eyes.

"Smoking right below my bedroom window isn't the best idea if you're trying not to get caught, you know?" Her tone was light, not quite angry, not quite joking.

I inhaled once again. "Maybe I don't care about getting caught anymore."

Alex didn't reply, but took a step towards me, followed by another.

"I've quit, you know. Don't think I've gone back on my word, because I haven't. I just needed to calm down, that's all," I said quietly, flicking the ash on the grass before staring at the ground uncomfortably.

"Okay," she replied, and she sounded as though she believed me. "Are you okay?"

After a moment, I shook my head, returning my gaze towards her. "No, I don't think so."

Alex was next to me now, and turned, pressing her back against the wall as I had done before she came out. I did the same, throwing the cigarette onto the floor.

"What happened?"

I wrapped my arms around myself, feeling the dropping temperatures against my skin. "I broke up with her, Harriet, I mean."

"Why?" She asked, and though her tone was curious, it didn't sound surprised.

I turned back to face her, studying every inch of her beautiful complexion. I'd missed looking into her eyes so deeply, I now realised. I'd missed the closeness and intimacy of it. My eyes trailed past her lips, and my mind flickered back to the times I'd kissed her. How I ached to do it again...

I swallowed nervously. "Because I think I love someone else."

Alex didn't move, her eyes remained transfixed upon my own. She pursed her lips, as though waiting for me to say something more.

"It was wrong of me to have led her on. I didn't mean to, I thought that she could take my mind off...well, you. But she couldn't, no one could. Alex, I don't want anyone else. There isn't anyone else that can make me happy. And maybe you'll say no, maybe you'll tell me that I'm being completely ridiculous, but I don't care. I can't hide the way I feel anymore. I'm sick of hiding. I'm sorry if that hurts you, or makes you uncomfortable. It just had to be said, okay?" I breathed, watching her watch me. When she didn't say anything, I closed my eyes fleetingly with a shake of my head, before pushing off the wall and heading past her. "Thats all I had to say anyway. I'm sorry."

"No," she said suddenly, grabbing my forearm, her fingers tight around it. "Stay. Please, stay."

I halted, our faces now closer than they had been in a long while. The proximity reminded me of how much I so desperately wanted her.

"Why?" I whispered.

Alex suddenly looked terrified as she stared into my soul, her hand still clutching onto my arm. "Because I love you too."

The next few moments we stood in silence, the only sound being our breathing. Suddenly, I pushed her up against the brick wall, pressing my lips into hers, my hands gripping her waist. She kissed me back ferociously, and it felt as though every emotion we had ever felt was pulsating through our lips. After a few moments, I felt her push me gently off, though our faces remained just inches apart.