14 | sights

"Well this looks disgustingly dull, what time are we going home?" I asked, checking my silver wristwatch.

"Evie, we got here ten minutes ago, and I think you'll find that the Tower of London is actually a brilliant place to visit. Just give it a chance and stop complaining, will you? We haven't even made it inside yet and you're already giving me a headache," Miss Bowen replied with a sigh as we queued at the entrance.

Today, our final day in London before we headed home tomorrow, was going to be spent viewing the sights and visiting the Tower of London, which to me seemed about as enjoyable as painting my own face with a nail gun.

The queue was slow moving, and our group was right at the back end of it.

I huffed exasperatedly with a click of my tongue, wrapping my arms around my body as I shivered in the biting November morning. My thick black hoodie and jeans didn't appear to be protecting me from the cold as well as I'd thought. I certainly wasn't used to the freezing temperatures of a British winter. In Florida, it had been warm almost all year round, and thinking of the sweltering sun made me miss home even more.

We waited another fifteen minutes before we made it inside, and as expected, it was very anticlimactic.

"You know, there are only so many turrets and crumbling walls a girl can see before she starts to go a little insane," I said. We'd only been inside for half an hour, but already I was desperate to leave and go shopping or get some food.

Miss Bowen sighed. We were at the back of the group again whilst everyone else had filtered off into pairs, wandering around aimlessly and occasionally pointing at something vaguely interesting. "You're supposed to be taking in the history, Evie."

"The only thing I want to be taking right now is drugs."

She shot me daggers.

"God I'm kidding," I replied, eyes rolling. "Can you lighten up? If you're going to drag me along to this shit at least be nice."

She stopped and turned to me, her expression serious. "Is it really that wrong of me to want you to get a good education and be able to see firsthand some of the history we're learning about? Is it honestly so hard for you to refrain from making stupid comments all the time? Is anything I do ever enough for you, Evelyn?" Miss Bowen was almost shouting, and I found myself shocked at her sudden snap.

"Look Alex, I—"

"It's Miss Bowen," she retaliated sharply. "I'm your teacher for God's sake, you're my student, will you have some respect?"

I stared at her in disbelief. How had she so suddenly turned on me? Had I even done anything that bad? I gritted my teeth in anger, fists clenched by my side.

"Are you being serious right now? Because honestly, I can't even tell anymore. One minute you're all over me like a rash, lying next to me in bed and acting like I'm your favourite person in the world. The next, you're treating me like I'm something you've just stepped in. It's like you're bipolar, for crying out loud. Your moods are giving me whiplash! Will you just save me the shit and make your fucking mind up, woman?"

Her eyes widened, but I didn't bother to wait for a response. I stormed past her, not sure where I was going but not caring either. I saw some of my classmates over by the crown jewel exhibits on the left, but I didn't want to be near any of them, and so headed down a pathway on the right.

I pulled my phone out of my pocket, finding Megan's name in my contacts and typing out a text message to her.

"Get me out of this fucking place. Going crazy, where's your group at? - E"