6 | off campus

"Evie, may I speak to you after class?"

I glanced up at Miss Bowen and remained in my seat as the shrill bell rung and my classmates stood up from their desks to leave first period English.

She waited until the room was empty, aside from the two of us, before putting down her pen and meeting my eyes. "I just wanted to make sure you're still okay to go into town fourth period?" I nodded with a smile. "We only have two hours at most—we need to be back at school before the end of lunch—but as you've kept to your word about the smoking, I'll keep to mine about this."

Miss Bowen was right. Since she'd asked me to stop on Monday, I hadn't picked up a cigarette since. It wasn't difficult, in all honesty. I wasn't addicted to smoking, I was addicted to having something that I could rely on.

"Meet me in the car park beside the playing field, start of fourth period. And I don't want any funny business, okay Evie? This is a one time thing, and I'm doing you a favour, so remember that before you do anything stupid." Her eyebrow lifted and I bit my lip with a smile.

"Got it, no funny business."

"Get to class," she replied softly.

I stood, picking up my books from my desk and walking towards hers. Her eyebrows pulled in slightly as I came to a halt in front of her, looking down at her faultless complexion.

She sighed, the dimples returning to her cheeks as her lips curved upwards very slightly. "Can I help you, Evie?"

As I gazed down at her in awe, my eyes flitting across every inch of her face, I found it impossible not to admire her. "No, Miss Bowen, I don't think you can." I watched her for a second longer before pulling myself away from her and out of the classroom into the corridor.

Second and third period seemed to go on forever. I found myself glancing at the clock over and over again, hoping time would have sped up since I'd last checked it. After what felt like a eternity, the bell rung and I almost jumped out of my seat, so eager to leave. I saw Megan passing me in the corridor and told her I might miss lunch as I had a meeting with Miss Bowen about my grades. I rushed to my dormitory, quickly changing into a pair of blue jeans and a white off-the-shoulder top. I shoved my feet into a pair of vans and headed back out of Nightingale wing. 

I made my way out across the playing field and towards the car park, my excitement rising within me as I neared. I wasn't sure if I was more excited about finally having some freedom from this school, or spending the afternoon one-on-one with Miss Bowen. Why had I become so drawn to her?

I saw her sat in her car, which was bright orange, her hair tied up in a slick ponytail. Opening the car door, I collapsed into the seat beside her, a smirk at my lips as I turned my head towards her.

"What?" She questioned, bewilderedly.

"Were not going to be very inconspicuous in this now, are we?" I raised my eyebrows, tapping the car's dashboard with the tips of my fingers.

Miss Bowen rolled her eyes. "He's my pride and joy, so please refrain from making comments about him."

"He?"

"Yes, he," she chuckled, starting the engine and pulling away from the kerb and out the school gates. "Now be quiet before I turn him back around and march you back to school."

"Yes ma'am," I muttered, and she nudged my upper arm playfully with her elbow. "Well now you definitely can't deny that I'm you're favourite student." My tone was purposely teasing.

"I thought I told you to be quiet."

"You know you don't want me to shut up. You'd be totally bored if we had to sit in silence all this way. How long is the journey, anyway?"