29 | questions

"Please don't leave out a single detail," Megan warned once I'd returned to my dormitory. Clarice sat beside her, slightly irritated that she'd been woken from her slumber.

With a deep breath, I ran them through the evening's events, all the way up until the part that I'd seen Alex outside.

"Hold on a second," Megan narrowed her eyes once I'd finished. "What happened when you went for a smoke? You were gone for well over an hour. I mean, I'm no expert but even I know that it doesn't take that long to have a fag."

I watched her and Clarice as their expressions became suspicious, and replied with a shrug. "I was just thinking."

"Thinking?" Clarice scoffed. "For over an hour? I think someone's telling us lies, don't you?"

Megan nodded. "Oh yes."

"For Christ sake, I don't have to tell you everything about my life. You wanted to know about the breakup, so I told you. End of conversation." I climbed into bed and pulled the duvet up over my body, but I'd barely been horizontal for half a second before Megan stormed over and ripped the covers from on top of me. "Jesus, what is your problem?"

"Stop being a dick and just tell us already."

I sighed, reluctantly sitting upright once again and folding my arms. "Fine. Alex came out because she smelt the smoke. We went back to her room and we just talked for a while. And maybe we kissed like once."

"Bullshit," Clarice tested, but a wide grin was spreading across her lips. "There's no way you just kissed her. Something else must have happened."

"Oh sorry, I didn't realise I had an interrogation with the FBI scheduled for tonight," I rolled my eyes.

I knew Megan and Clarice weren't just going to let this go, but I also knew it was risky to tell them. What Alex and I had done wasn't illegal, considering I'm eighteen, but definitely wrong. Though I trusted these girls with my life, but the possibility of it getting out still scared me to death. It would ruin my life, but more importantly, hers.

"Listen, Evie, we all know that something else happened. We can tell just by the look on your face. Honestly, you're transparent. So you can either just tell us what went down, or you can leave it to our imagination," Meg proposed with a smirk.

I ran my teeth across my bottom lip, trying to decide what to do. Eventually, I gave up on the inner mental battle, and told them.

"I don't know whether to be absolutely ecstatic or a little bit grossed out," Megan admitted, her eyebrow slightly cocked.

"Ecstatic, obviously," Clarice pitched in, a wild look of excitement in her eyes. I was surprised by how supportive of this they'd actually been, after all, Alex and I were committing a felony, but I figured their lives were a hell of a lot less dramatic before I arrived, and so they quite enjoyed revelling in mine. "I mean, sure, in the eyes of the law fucking a teacher is totally wrong, but she's not that much older than you, and you're legally an adult."

"You have to be careful though, Evie," Meg said warningly, a wash of concern lapping over her. "If anyone ever finds out, her reputation would be ruined forever. Just be mindful of that, alright?"

I nodded. "I know, I'm not stupid. Listen, I'm going to sleep."

"Sure," she nodded, and I slumped back down beneath the sheets. It didn't take long for me to sink in the realms of a dreamless sleep, my entire body exhausted with the happiness that jolted through my bloodstream. Perhaps things would be okay.

My life had never been smooth-sailing; one drama after another seemed to crash into me continuously, and I had grown tired of it. But now, maybe—just maybe—it was going to work out the way I had wanted it too.