38 | into the future

THREE YEARS LATER

                "I can't believe you're really going, it feels like we only just got you back," Tommy sniffed, his eyes welling with tears as we stood in the middle of the airport.

I rolled my eyes. "Dad that was three years ago, and I'll come visit all the time, I promise. This isn't even forever, at the moment I'm only on a two year contract, remember?" I pulled my arms around his middle, squeezing him tightly before pulling away and side-stepping over to Christopher, who had my handbag on his shoulder. I arched a brow. "Maybe I should leave that with you, it does suit you..."

He grinned, taking it off his shoulder and handing it to me. "You pull it off just that bit better than me, kid." He leaned down and hugged me, planting a kiss on my cheek. "Don't forget about us now, will you?"

I laughed, pulling away. "Sorry, who are you again?" He tapped my arm playfully with my passport before handing it to me. I packed it into my bag safely and opened my arms as I leaned down to Owen. "Love you, Little O."

"Hey," he tutted irritably in response. "I'm nine years old, you know. I'm Big O."

"Right, got it. My apologies, Big O." I pulled him into my arms, giving him one last hug before standing up straight and giving my family a final firm smile. "I'll call you as soon as I land, okay?"

And off I went, heading on a plane back to England for the first time in three years.

Since I'd left, my life had taken a number of unexpected twists and turns. Firstly, I passed all my exams, even getting an A in English, something I never expected to have happened. I remained adamant that I didn't want to go to college, despite my fathers trying to encourage me. Instead, I began working for an editing company, proofreading people's work. Though it wasn't the best job in the world, it paid well enough, and I actually found myself quite enjoying it at times. Four months ago, however, I decided I needed a change. I was bored of doing the same thing in the same place everyday. Looking online, I noticed a job advertised in Devon for a charity helping children from broken families, mainly teaching them to read and write, but also just giving them a bit of a break from life. It took me by surprise at first, but the more I thought about it, the more I decided it was perfect. I'd missed England a hell of a lot since I'd left, and now seemed like the perfect time to return. My only anxiety lay the fact that Alexandra Bowen was still there, or at least, I assumed she was.

We'd tried to stay in contact since I moved, but it was difficult. Each letter or text or call was painful, and only reminded us both of the huge distance between us. After a while, the contact died down, and though I missed her like never before, I decided not to push things. I wasn't even sure how I felt about her now. Having not seen her in three years, it was almost as though my mind had conveniently erased her from my memories to avoid all possible painful thoughts. It was easy trying to ignore someone when you lived halfway across the world from them, but being fifteen minutes down the road seemed a whole lot more difficult.

I sighed as I thought of her, not sure what to feel. I suddenly remembered her last words to me that morning in the church, "If it's meant to be, it will be." Perhaps moving back to England was a sign, or maybe not.

I wasn't even certain where she was living. The last time we'd spoken, she had gotten her job back at St Martha's, but she wasn't boarding anymore. She mentioned something about having her own apartment, but I couldn't remember the exact details.