16 | gone

The following day I sat in first period English, tapping my pen impatiently on the desk, my eyes transfixed on Miss Bowen's empty desk. I hadn't seen her at breakfast, and she was never late to class. I bit my lip, moving my gaze to the door as Mrs. Finchley strolled in. An unfamiliar anxiousness swirled up inside me, and I knew by the look on her face that she wasn't coming to give good news.

"Good morning everyone," she said politely as she moved to the centre of the room at the front, hands behind her back. "I've got some bad news to give to you all unfortunately. Miss Bowen is dealing with a few personal issues at the moment, and won't be returning to school until further notice. Now I know we only have a month until we break up for the Christmas holidays, but until Miss Bowen returns, and we can't yet be sure when that will be, you will be given a supply teacher for your History and English classes." Whispers seemed to arise within the class as my heart plummeted into the pit of my stomach. Why had she left? How long would it be until I next saw her? Maybe she would never come back. Surely not? Miss Bowen loved teaching here. And I knew she wouldn't leave me without at least saying goodbye, would she?

Mrs. Finchley cleared her throat and the class quietened down immediately. "I know this is fairly big news, and I will try and keep you updated. Your temporary teacher won't be here until tomorrow, so you'll have two extra free periods today. You're all dismissed."

The class scrambled up, grabbing their books, excited about the chance to have two extra hours of relaxation. I picked up my things in no hurry, my mind a mess of thoughts that buzzed wildly like bees. I noticed Mrs. Finchley heading towards the door, and I called her name before she got the chance to leave. She turned, eyebrow slightly raised.

"How may I help you, Miss Luis?" She walked back over to the desk as I approached her.

I tried to think of the right thing to say, and ended up being unable to find the words for a few moments. Eventually, my mind strung a sentence together. "I was just...I just wanted to know if you knew where Miss Bowen had gone?"

She gave a small smile. "Evelyn, even if I knew that information, which by the way I do not, it would not be mine to share. But I can assure you Miss Bowen is okay. You really look up to her, don't you?"

I swallowed back the lump in my throat, giving a weak smile that I knew didn't reach my eyes. "Yeah, I guess I do."

Mrs. Finchley gave an understanding smile as we stood in silence for a few moments. "Off you go, Evelyn."

I nodded, turning and heading towards the door. When I got there, I looked back over my shoulder. "If you hear from her, will you...will you tell her I said I hope she's alright?"

Mrs. Finchley dipped her head with a small nod. "I'll pass the message on, and I'm sure she'll be grateful for your concern, Miss Luis."

"What's wrong with you?" Megan asked at dinner that evening as I pushed my food around my plate with the end of my fork.

I didn't bother to look up, though I could feel her and Clarice's eyes bore into me. I shrugged my shoulders. "Nothing, just got a bit of a headache."

"Are you sure? You've been like this all day," Clarice eyed me suspiciously.

I shrugged again. "Just a headache."

Megan placed her knife and fork together on her empty plate, placing her forearms on the edge of the table and leaning into me. I lifted my head slightly to look at her. "You know I heard Miss Bowen's taken some personal leave. It wouldn't have anything to do with that, would it?"

"Will you just leave it, Megan? For crying out loud, I've got a headache and you're yapping in my ear like a fucking Chihuahua. Give me a break."

She seemed taken aback for a moment before a sigh escaped her lips. "Evie, I don't care if you like her, okay? I mean, it's a bit weird, but it's nothing to do with Clarice and I. Look, all I'm saying is we're not judging, alright?"