49 | revelations

"What?"

Alex pursed her lips, taking a step towards me and placing her hands on my hips, the touch of her fingertips against my skin giving me goosebumps. Her face was close to mine once again as her eyes darted across mine. She nodded ever so slightly with a sigh. "The truth is I love you Evie. I've known it since the moment I first saw you again that night at dinner. I think I knew you loved me too. You tried to hide it but I could just tell, like it was written all over your face. And I couldn't bring myself to tell you how I felt because I was so scared and I didn't want to get hurt again and I didn't want to hurt Ricky..." She scoffed at that. "Should have left that prick when I had the chance. But I'm saying it now because I don't want to wait any longer. I can't wait any longer."

I stood frozen to the spot, staring at her in disbelief and waiting for her to tell me it was all a joke. She didn't. I stood open-mouthed, not knowing what to reply, so she continued.

"The thing is, I've spent all this time being so afraid. I was scared you'd hurt me, scared that I'd hurt you, scared that you wouldn't want me. I was just so afraid that it stopped me from telling you how I felt, but I don't give a shit anymore. I want to be with you. We've spent three years in this limbo not knowing where we stand, and I'm sick of it. I want you, okay?" She pulled me towards her so our bodies were touching.

"I want you too," I whispered. "But I'm scared, Alex. I'm scared that you're going to break my heart again because you've done it so many times before and honestly, I can't stand that pain again."

She shook her head, placing her hands on either side of my face. "Evie, listen to me. I promise you, I won't ever hurt you again. This is what I want. You're what I want, okay?"

I continued to stare at her for a few moments, and just before I opened my mouth to speak, she pressed her lips to mine, pushing me over towards the wall behind us and pinning me against it. It was intense and fiery at first, and then it softened. She moved her hands back to my cheeks and stroked them delicately with her fingertips as my own hands found the small of her back and rested there comfortably.

When we eventually broke apart, she pressed her forehead against mine, her hands still grazing my cheeks softly. "I fucking love you, okay?"

"Okay," I whispered, breathing heavily. "I love you too."

"Come on," she said softly, pulling my hand and leading me, topless, down the hall. "Let's go to bed."

I climbed in beside her, rolling on my side so we were face to face again. "What happens now?" I asked.

Alex reached out a hand and delicately tucked a piece of hair behind my ear. "Like I said, I want to be with you."

I arched a brow, a small smirk creeping across my lips. "Like a girlfriend?"

She grinned and ducked her head slightly. I knew she was blushing, and I lifted her face from her chin with the tips of my fingers. Alex rolled her eyes. "Yes, like a girlfriend."

I raised an eyebrow once again, still smirking. "So are you planning on actually asking me anytime soon?"

Alex laughed with another roll of her eyes, shaking her head and nudging me in the ribs beneath the duvet. "For god's sake, fine. Evie, will you please be my girlfriend?"

I pursed my lips and placed my hand at the base of my chin, pretending to think hard. "Hm, I don't know about this one. I just don't think I'm ready for that level of commitment yet..."

"Shut up," Alex laughed, nudging me once again. "Say yes right now or I'm not making you breakfast tomorrow morning."

"Please, I don't need you to make me breakfast. I can cook, you know."