43 | confiding

I arrived back at my flat before Alex got there, placed my keys onto the table in the kitchen, poured two small glasses of red wine and slumped into the couch. Minutes later, a quiet knock at my door told me she was here.

As I opened it, I noticed almost immediately that she looked different. Her eyes were tired, her lips rested southwards sadly, and her shoulders were slightly slumped. All in all, she looked sort of defeated.

"Come in," I gestured with a concerned smile, closing the door behind her as she took off her coat and hung it on the rack beside the door. We sat down side by side on the couch, and I placed a hand on her wrist. "What's happened, Alex?"

She shook her head with a sigh, closing her eyes fleetingly and puffing out her cheeks. "You're going to think it's really pathetic, and I'm probably not even right..."

"I don't care. Just tell me."

Another sigh as she took a sip from the glass of Pinot Noir. "Me and Ricky are having problems. Well, I am, he doesn't seem to even realise. I think maybe he's seeing someone else. He goes away a lot on these work trips becuase his company works all around the country, but I don't know. He went away a few days ago and he was meant to be back yesterday but he texted me earlier to say he's going to be gone another night... I just feel so stupid. I don't know what to believe anymore. I don't want to say anything because I'm scared of losing him, but my gut is telling me something isn't right, you know?"

I nodded slowly. "So you haven't spoke to him about this at all?"

She sighed, shaking her head. "No, he'll only tell me I'm crazy..."

I didn't know exactly what to tell her, in all honesty. I'd never been in a proper, adult relationship before, certainly not with a man, and so I was hardly the right person to ask for expertise. "Listen," I said firmly, trying to gather something of aid. "I'm sure everything is fine. You're probably just overthinking. I'm going to meet him later this week anyway so I can give you my opinion. Just try and chill out until then, okay?"

She gave me a thankful smile and reached out, placing her fingers on the top of my hand and squeezing gently. "I really missed you being gone, you know."

I gave a quiet chuckle. "Where did that come from?"

Alex shrugged. "You just always seem to know how to make me feel better, that's all. It's nice having you around again."

I smiled in return with a small nod. "It's nice to be back."

She removed her hand but a part of me wished she hadn't. "Anyway, enough about my problems. How's your work going?"

"Not too bad actually. I love working with the kids. They're hard work, that's for sure, but it's rewarding, you know? It's like you spend the whole day exhausted and stressed and almost at the edge, and then one of them will do or say something that just makes it all worth it. It's sweet, you know?"

Alex smiled. "That's why I fell in love with teaching. Of course, I love History and English, but that's not the reason I go back everyday. It's the students, they're the ones that make it worth it. Just like you. Dare I say it, you were one of the best I ever had."

I grinned. "I knew I was always your favourite."

She rolled her eyes. "Well don't go shouting your mouth off about it. It is still my job, you know. But yes, I suppose I did quite like having you around." Alex nudged my arm and I giggled. "Pain in the ass, though."

"Ouch, hurtful," I replied mockingly, clutching my chest with my fist. "Well you weren't exactly the easiest to have around either, you know."

Alex arched her eyebrows. "Oh please, I was the best teacher you ever had."