Part 11

"Stevie, hello? Have you heard a word I've said?" Lori waved a hand in front of Stevie's face, trying to get her attention.

"I'm sorry." Stevie shook her head. "I'm somewhere else."

"I can tell. What's up?"

"Nothing." Stevie replied, smiling weakly at her friend. "I'm okay." She said, looking across the room at Lindsey, who was talking to Dave.

"Oh, I get it." Lori said, subtly rolling her eyes. "So, what happened, while no one was around?"

"You know what happened, Lori." Stevie sighed, picking up her beloved pet off the floor and into her lap.

"But you don't seem upset."

"That's because I'm not." Stevie shrugged her shoulders, stroking Sulamith's fur. "What happened between us, we needed that."

"You know, you can get laid outside of Lindsey's circle."

Stevie chuckled lowly, locking eyes with Lori. "Yeah, but... let's just not get into that. It was completely different this time."

"You're right, let's not. Because I have never understood nor will I ever. I'm just- I'm glad you're not in tears."

Stevie knew Lori cared as did Sharon and everyone else, who were aware of the mess Stevie and Lindsey's relationship was. She'd grown tired of being questioned all the time, so the fact Lori walked away, let her sigh in relief. Besides, there really was nothing to talk about, at least not to anyone else besides each other.

"Stevie, do you want to listen to the remakes?" Dave called her and Stevie nodded her head, sliding of the high stool to approach him and Lindsey.

The first thing played was a guitar part, but Stevie couldn't recall it. Sure, Lindsey played it just a tad different every time, but it was a lot more off from the original idea. She asked for it to be played again, then she looked at Lindsey.

"When did you record this?"

"While you slept. I was restless, so I thought, I might as well work on the song." He explained. "Doesn't it sound better?"

"It does, it really does." Stevie agreed, turning to Dave. "See, I told you we needed more time."

"Right, more time to work on the song." He emphasized, smirking. It really was no secret to anyone. "Anyway, I've listened through everything from yesterday and today or the middle of the night-" Dave shrugged. "And I think, I can safely say the song is definitely finished."

"I'd say so, too." Lindsey nodded and Stevie couldn't disagree. If she said anything else, she would only raise more suspicion and everyone was already bothering her enough as it was.

Lindsey didn't leave immediately. He stuck around for the rest of the day, observing and watching Stevie work with others, with Dave. Lindsey had always considered that job to be his, he was the one meant to elevate her songs and make them brilliant. He couldn't hide the fact he was jealous, but it was her choice. He told himself it was her solo album, she would never ask him to be a bigger part of it given the history. Lindsey had never been a big fan of her career outside of Fleetwood Mac – not her music itself, but exactly her successful career. With years, he was learning to accept it, he had to remind himself that what they did outside the band was so different and therefore so were their fanbase. He couldn't concentrate on the numbers, by how many records she'd outsold him. Otherwise, there would always be that obstacle standing in the way of them having a healthy relationship.

So, Lindsey just watched. He kept to himself and he admired her. If asked for his opinion, Lindsey shared it, but other than that he kept his mouth shut. And it was enough for him, it had to be enough. Maybe someday, he'd convince her to contribute to a new album with Fleetwood Mac and things would be different.

"Steph, can I steal you for a minute?" Lindsey asked, rising from his seat.

"Of course." Stevie gave a nod of her head, following him out and away from everyone else.

"I'm leaving." He stated, a weak smile on his face.

"Oh." She didn't know what else to say, casting her eyes down.

"These past few days with you have been wonderful." He told her honestly, gently griping her chin to make her look at him.

"They have." She agreed, her hand closing around his wrist. "Don't be a stranger."

"Not a chance." His smile grew as he opened his arms for her. Pressing a kiss to her hair, he said. "I love you."

"I love you." She repeated, cradling his face in her hands. She couldn't hold back, meeting him halfway for a lingering kiss.

With his guitar case in one hand and his bag in the other, Lindsey took another moment to look at her, giving her a small smile. She waved at him as he turned to leave and she watched him walk out the door.

"I love you." She whispered again as his car pulled out of her driveway.

THE END

~

Something a little different, I hope you enjoyed it. Thank you so much for reading ♥