Backstory/ Flash Back

A/n: Hello everyone this is my first fanfic so I hope you enjoy!

—Flash Back—

It was your first day at your new job. You wore a lab coat and a black sweater with jeans and you had your hair up in a pony tail. Your lab coat had a tiny black symbol labeled "Aperture Science".You thought it was a odd name for the company but you went along with it. A voice came over the intercom as soon as you reach the door. "Hello there, I'm Cave Johnson and welcome to Aperture Science! Now if you are at the left wing of this non testing facility you are part of our core engineering team! Please proceed into the room to the door in front of you. What was that Caroline?" Then there was static. "That was strange" you thought to yourself as you open the door. You were amazed with the sight before you, it was a wide grey room with a dome like roof that had lights close to stage lights on the top. There were tables of mechanical parts and lenses with computers and sparking wires. People rushed through the big room talking and yelling commands. One of them approached you and greeted you with a warm smile, "Hello Y/N! Welcome to the core engineering center! I'm Claire and I will be showing you around the lab." After your tour you made sure to thank Claire and walk to your station. As soon as you were settled you immediately were handed your first project.

The assignment was making an intelligence dampening sphere, and this had to be done in a core design. Ready to tackle the task at hand, you progressively worked until sun down. At last you were finished by midnight and to your surprise people still were working beside you. You added the blue eye in the center of the orb and plugged a cable into it's back to start up the program to give it the ability to talk, think, learn, and listen. You switched on your computer and started running the pre-set codes an programs you made. You sat down and put your head on the desk, as you slowly closed your eyes and started to sleep.

"Hello?" You called out in the darkness but no one answered. A breeze came from a door in the void and you went through it, "Hello? Is anyone there? Can you hear me?" Lights switched on and you were in a field of wheat with a worn down shack behind you. "Where am I?" You asked with curiosity and concern. The artificial sky seemed real enough to make you believe that you were in the outside world. You looked down and you were wearing strange boots and beside you was a burnt cube with a heart in the center. You heard footsteps behind you in the field and you immediately ran to investigate. To your surprise it was a woman holding a gun like object and she looked just as curious as you. You walked toward her but everything began to fade to black and you woke up. "Oh, thank goodness I'm still here" you sighed in relief. You checked your computer and it was at 70%, "almost there" you sighed.

It's been about 30 minutes and the light switched on and a voice mumbled an "uuughhh" You looked over your shoulder and you saw the little sphere moving as if he just woke up from a nap. 'Its reaction was abnormally fast for just starting up' you thought to yourself as you analyzed it. It looks up and around "Where am I?" You we're amazed at its reaction time and vocabulary and its voice...you didn't program it with a accent or gave it a gender, although it had a British male voice. You glanced at the computer screen and you saw the programming code was labeled "Wheatley" you thought it seemed fitting for him. You cleared your throat and faced the core "Hello Wheatley I am F/N L/N, may I ask a question?" The core blinked and answers "Ok go ahead love" you looked at your computer and asked "tell me what you know about this place" he thinks for a moment...could robots even think? "This I believe is the Aperture Science Main Facility. The central core keeping this place in check is GLaDOS...her files don't make it look like she is a lovely fellow" he rambles on about all the interesting details and you listen enthralled in the story he tells about Cave and Caroline.

People start to bunch around your creation and although he did sound like a moron at times, he had a well rounded personality for an AI. Soon you became close friends.