Chapter Seventeen

*Possible trigger warning: gore*

When the couple walked into the station they got dozens of congratulations from their fellow officers. Connor and Hank gave them their thanks as they sat at their desks. Connor felt a presence behind him after a few minutes and turned to see an android who looked almost exactly like him.

He was slightly taller and his eyes were an icy grey-blue. His uniform was white and sharp, his shoulders broad and strong. The android had his arm stretched outward to shake Connor's hand. The brown eyed detective stood and shook it, a politeness ever present in his demeanor.

"Nice to meet you. You must be the new detective. My name is Connor." The new android had no emotion in his eyes as Connor spoke, he just studied him in a way that almost made the short man feel uncomfortable.

"My name is Conan." His face remained stoic, but his grip tightened around Connor's. "The better version of you. Good luck." And with that his grip loosened and he walked away to his own desk, leaving a confused Connor.

"And even more annoying." Gavin Reed sighed as he took a big gulp of his morning coffee. He walked passed the newly wed couple with just a nod and sat at his desk right in front of Conan's. Connor sat back down and shook his head as he looked over the file for their new case.

"Don't you worry about that, babe. Just some healthy work place competition." Hank reached over to give his husband's hand a quick squeeze before looking at his computer and reading up on the case.

Possible sex trafficking ring. The leader is presumed to be an older caucasian male, name unknown. Caught on camera by Speeds gas station.

"Our best bet is to go back to the gas station-" before Hank could finish his sentence, their phones and the phones in the station were going off all at once. When Connor picked up the phone he realized they didn't have to go to the gas station at all. They were all found less than a block away in an old, abandoned house.

Hank and Connor had an idea of what they'd be walking into, as they always did when they read their case files. But nothing could have prepared them for what they witnessed.

The run down house smelled of hard drugs and death. So much death. Hank shut his eyes and took in a deep breath before even walking an inch away from the front door. The first thing they both saw was the body of a child, no older than eleven.

"Fuck." Hank muttered under his breath as he tried to control the shaking of his hands. He looked over the room and there were more bodies scattered around, some adults and some children.

"There.. there must have been a shoot out. A disagreement with the price of.. of the children." Connor assessed, scanning the amount of bullet holes each body had. He tried his best to push back any emotion he was feeling in that moment to get through this case.

"I'll go look for any signs of life." Connor walked away, scanning each body, but found nothing. Connor remained stoic as he searched but he was angry, so very angry at the thought of children being harmed in this way. When he pictured busting a sex trafficking ring, he saw himself finding every child alive.

But not that day.

The sound that caught his attention was small, but he heard it nonetheless. He turned his attention down the hallway and listened for any indication of life. A rustle of trash made him turn to the left and through an old wooden door. Connor made sure to scan the area thoroughly. Traces of fresh human blood were scattered around the carpet.

A scream filled the room as a slender body jumped on his back, punching at his chest. He reached and pulled the person off of him, gently as he could tell from their labored breathing that they were injured. They squirmed in his grasp, screaming for him to let go.

"Stop, stop-you're bleeding. We're here to help you." Connor gripped the person, coaxing them to be still. Their breathing was still hard as they looked up at him.

Young man of Indian descent between the ages of seventeen and nineteen. Malnourished. Wound on scalp. May have some internal injuries.

"Stop! Don't fucking touch me." The battered boy beat at the android's chest until his body finally fell limp in Connor's arms.

"Hank! Call for an ambulance." Connor yelled out into the hallway. He looked back down at the wounded boy with no name and sadness filled his being. His shirt had been torn down the side, cuts and scratches visible from wear his skin was exposed. His binder had been slightly torn as well, barely holding together on one side.

Connor shut his eyes and calmed when he felt Hank's presence behind him. The lieutenant's face was pale as he looked down at the body in his partner's arms.

"The ambulance is on the way." Hank said, the sirens already loud in the distance. The lieutenant explained that he found the man that had been caught on camera dead in the living room.

Connor only nodded, barely listening. He watched as the boy was put on the gurney, and the android knew they'd have to go to the hospital to ask him some questions. He felt a weird feeling that he assumed was similar to a human being sick.

Hank truly felt sick, however. Seeing those children made him want to vomit but he knew he had to push all of that down for the sake of the job. He learned long ago that personal feelings should be out of the equation when working.

He wondered if Connor remembered that as they made their way to the hospital, to question the young man who without a doubt had already been through too much.

~*~

Author's Note: sorry this chapter is so short. I didn't want to have to cram everything into one chapter again.