Chapter Nineteen

Hank didn't expect them to have their first fight as a married couple so soon. But nevertheless, it happened as soon as they went home after the day spent at the hospital with Lucian. Hank knew that Connor didn't like the news of Lucian being an orphan, a fact he could tell as the android sulked at his desk and in the car as they drove home.

Connor hadn't meant to start a fight. It wasn't in his plan at all. He hadn't even had one to begin with, if he was being honest. The only thing he knew was how heart broken he felt when Hank told him that Lucian had no one. Connor knew that he shouldn't have felt that way, that his job should be the priority over anything else.

However, the case was deemed closed after they got the full story from Lucian. Seeing as he was the lone survivor, there was nothing left to find.

And all that was left was an orphan, a broken boy who never got the chance to be teenager.

There was no way Connor would let him end up homeless, and that scared Hank. The lieutenant knew that to be a fact, but it felt like a slap across the face when his husband brought it out into the open.

"We don't know this kid, Connor. We can't just let him in here. It'll be a mess." Hank tried to explain to his partner, but all it did was make the brunette's brows furrow.

"How can you be okay with knowing that his life is only going to get worse without help?" Connor countered as he removed his uniform jacket and tucked it away in their closet, his actions fueled with his attitude.

"It's none of our business, and that's all I have to say about it." Hank exhaled in a sigh as he kicked off his jeans. His husband turned abruptly after that, his fingers still as they stop midway into unbuttoning his shirt. A tense silence filled the room. Hank felt a cold chill run down his spine as he felt those brown eyes bore into his back.

"You're just scared that if we let him in you'll become attached, Hank. And that's not fair. It's not his fault." The words slipped out before he could stop them, and he immediately felt guilty. Though he knew it was true, it didn't feel right bringing it up that way. He also knew he wouldn't get the chance to apologize right away once Hank started walking way.

"It's not his fault that my son is dead? Thanks, hun.. I knew that." Hank's throat felt tight as he made his way to the bathroom. He stripped away the rest of his clothes and took a cold shower. He knew there was no reason for him to respond that way and it wasn't fair to throw that on Connor, he just got so aggravated at him. He didn't like feeling that way towards his man, even if there was that small part of him that felt like he had all the reasons in the world

Connor's feet were frozen in their spot until the bathroom door slammed shut. He winced at the sound before stumbling to the bed. He sat with his head in his hands. He sometimes wished he didn't feel things so strongly, like before he became deviant. But if he was being true, he felt things then. It was just easier to suppress them. 

Definitely not in that moment as he'd fallen in love and got married to that love, definitely not then. Still, Hank was shocked to find Connor sitting at the end of the bed with tears running down his beautiful face. All of the feelings he felt in his shower had been washed away, and what he was feeling then was worry as he kneeled down in front of his love and cradled his tear stained cheeks.

"It's okay, baby. I'm not mad." Hank cooed as he wiped the tears away. More tears flowed though as the brunette shook his head.

"I should have never said that to you. I'm sorry." Connor's voice was tight as the apology fell through his lips. He had meant it wholeheartedly, and so the shame he felt was real. He had never lost a child like Hank had, but he figured he should know by then to show empathy.