Prologue

Recommended song to listen to with the chapter

There are two things I believe in this world: education and perfection. That making me a complete book nerd, and a perfectionist that never breaks binds of said books. Everything besides knowledge, whether in the classroom or lodged in printed books, and the art of flawlessness did not matter. You don't get anywhere in this world if you do not have a degree hanging on your wall, or dress haphazardly to a job interview. Again, that missing degree pops up as you pool sweat around your ankles, wishing you'd just applied yourself just a little bit more...

This inked into every step I made, every breath I took, every flip of a textbook or classic literature novel – all directed toward one goal, one cornerstone I had been preparing for since I was a little girl in pig-tails and tutus: College. And not just any college, but Juilliard, to be exact.

The very school that hosted and produced immaculate artists that stunned the modern world, with refined talent and graceful endeavors. Thee school that had been my focus ever since I'd learn I could do a spotless pirouette, and admired the way a ballerina moved like an airborne swan — delicate and weightless. I aspired to be that free in my step, and so I worked my butt off, with every school assignment, every recital, and every turn on my bruised feet. I did not stop until I had gotten that crisp acceptance letter in my hands.

I had been taught by my hard-working father that College was the most important stage of anyone's life. It would either make or break you. That, once you did your time and exited those once big, burly doors, it would be extension of who you were. And so, I took his words in stride and worked even harder.

Then again, you don't really see the big picture of life. You don't get a notice of every obstacle that comes hurtling in your path. You just get it, a curveball, one you can either walk around or hit head-on.

I never expected to befriend my nutty, artistic roommate. Never intended to get sucked into parties and boys and drama, and everything you'd see on a reality TV show. I was headed for success, not the bad side of college. The side I'd never been aware of, or worried about. I thought books and late night studying and coffee was all that college was. I hadn't wanted to get sidetracked. Not for someone that I certainly hadn't wanted, or, at least, I didn't think I did...

Him.

Blue.

A boy with smoldering dark eyes, and a reputation for being vile in every sense of the word. He was rude, irresponsible, and just bad. Even so, he crept his way into my locked heart. He didn't have the key to unlock what was meant for someone I thought was truly deserving. But that didn't stop him for smashing it open, like the ass he was.

Before him, I saw things in black and white. Good and bad. But, after him, all I saw was him. The blue. The melancholy, the paleness, the stroke of a guitar. Nothing but blue.

______________

Author's Note

If you're a new reader if mine--hello! I appreciate you giving this book a try, and I hope you stick around.

If you're one of my GREY readers--heyyyyyy! This book will be another emotional rollercoaster, so get ready ;)

I spent my whole summer writing this story that means so much to me, so please take the time to answer the prompts below:

1. What was your favorite part of the prologue?

2. What was your least favorite part of the prologue?

3. What did you think of the prologue overall?

- Allison x