Chapter Twelve

Monday finally arrives, and I finally feel like I can breathe again. I've been strategically avoiding Blue in hopes of erasing that night from my brain. As far as I know, I didn't accidentally drink an alcoholic drink and kiss the one boy that has a mission to make my life hell. I wasn't shirtless as I climbed his lap. I didn't hear him moan my name and feel his hands caress me and kiss me so deeply – I stop the train of thought and take a deep breath. The point of debunking that mistake is to forget about it, not reminisce in it.

Bottom line is: kissing Blue Montgomery was the biggest mistake, and I will not dwell on it. I will move on and forget every detail. Which is a lot easier said than done. All week I've dedicated my time to studying and dancing. Nothing less and nothing more. What I couldn't get out of my head was one question: why? Why kiss me so heatedly and act like he wanted me, when he'd just toss me away and verbally slaughter me moments later?

I know the answer, I always have, but just refuse to believe it. He's a vindictive, selfish prick who takes what he wants and tosses it to the side before walking away like it didn't matter in the first place. I just thought he was softening up to me, like when we were in that music store and he sang a Paul McCartney song. But it turns out I was just as blind then as I was Saturday.

After dance class, Evie goes out of her way to find me in the girl's locker room. I don't notice her, too focused on rubbing my sore right foot, until she makes her presence known by clearing her throat I'm taken aback when I look up and find her staring down at me. Her expression is hard to pin-point, but I can tell she's annoyed. I think it has to do with Mrs. Rhodes pointing out a few flaws with her dancing today. And I get a feeling Evie doesn't like to be called out for her mistakes.

"Hello?" I say unsurely.

"You didn't tell Finn, did you?" she asks in a harsh tone.

What is she talking about? I slip on my socks. "What are you talking about?" I ask and realize what she means the second the words leave my lips. She means her almost having sex with Blue in my room at the party. If she's worried that I talked about it, she's wrong. I've tried every power in me to tune it out of my mind.

"No," I assure her, "I didn't speak a word about you and Blue. And don't worry, because I never will." It hasn't hit me until now, but I hope Blue didn't say anything about our kiss. Lord knows I'm trying to downplay it and push him out of my mind for good.

"Good, because it's none of your business and Finn would flip out." She rolls her eyes in annoyance, and I can't help but ask why. Her hazel eyes bore through me. "He's overprotective of me, and like I said, it's none of your damn business... so keep your mouth shut and there should be no trouble." A smile dripping sarcasm takes up her face, and I gasp and watch her storm away.

Why is she being so mean to me? I'm seriously wondering if I've done something wrong to her. I rake my mind for a moment I disrespected her or something but come up short.

I finish getting dressed and head toward my first academic class of the day. The class, and the others, pass by uneventfully. I can finally breathe...

Until I arrive at my dorm room. He's leaning against the door and, when he finds me before I can back away and hang out in the lounge room until he leaves, he waves his long fingers at me. I let out a grunted sigh but cautiously walk over to him.

"Hey, ballerina —" he begins to say, but I abruptly cut him off.

"I don't have time for you, Blue." I don't mean to sound harsh, but I'm exhausted and am not in the mood to interact with him. The memory of him causally brushing off my first kiss like it meant nothing makes my blood boil. "So if you could please get out of the way, that'd be great." I gesture my hands to the door he's blocking.