Chapter Thirty-Seven

The next day after classes I am exhausted and take a two-hour nap before Riley shows up and asks if I want to go shopping with her. I agree to go, and she's surprised but fixes up her makeup while I get dressed in jeans and a thick sweater. I feel rejuvenated after my short nap and I need to buy more winter clothes anyway. I underestimated the weather this wonderful city has to offer. We leave twenty minutes after I've brushed my unruly hair into a tight low ponytail and swipe on some blush and lip-gloss. She teases me about how adorable I look, and I brush her off and follow her out of the building.

When we arrive to the shopping outlet, I'm surprised it's Fifth Avenue. I can't help but become a tourist and take pictures of the infamous area. Not just so I can gawk at them later on, but because my aunt Lyra is a shopping-junkie and has always wanted to visit this place. Whenever she and her husband got in a fight or she generally wanted a stress reliever, she would drag me to our local mall and shop for hours on end. My dad would tease her when she dropped me back home and I had dozens of shopping bags in my hands. Talking about them makes the longing to see them grow in my chest. I miss them so much. Fortunately, next week is Thanksgiving and I'll see them then. My stomach grumbles at the thought of eating Lyra's famous pecan pie... or it's because I haven't eaten lunch yet. Neither has Riley, so she makes a detour to find lunch.

We walk two blocks away from the infamous avenue to a small family owned Chinese restaurant. We're both shivering and sigh in relief as the warmth of the strategically placed heaters around. The table we are given is toward the back of the window facing the window.

"I can't wait for the summer to come. I'm freezing my ass off," she complains and drags a nearby heater closer to our table. "This has to be our worst winter yet and the season has just begun."

"I wasn't expecting the winter to be this bad," I tell her truthfully. I did research about the weather during the summer, but it didn't prepare me for this. I rub my gloved hands together to create some sort of heat.

"It's only going to worst, just you wait." She plucks off her gray beanie and drops it on the window ledge.

"I am not looking forward to it," I say, laughing.

"So... have you and Blue talked since yesterday? Or do I have to rip his balls off?" Riley asks with a laugh and playfully narrowed eyes. I laugh. I find her protectiveness over me very sweet, but her doing... that isn't necessary. Not this time, at least.

"There is no need for that. He explained that a friend of his made him frustrated, and he didn't want me around while he was still upset. Which I am all for, because I would rather not get in another fight. We've been doing very good recently," I say and pause when our waiter stops by and places a basket of egg rolls on the table. "When he finally calmed down last night, he came by and we ate, and he calmly explained himself and even apologized. It was all kind of uncharacteristic of him but ultimately sweet and how I want us to deal with small bumps from now on."

My stomach growls at the sight of the fresh egg rolls. I pluck one out of the red basket and hum in appreciation. It's delicious as it looks, and as I go for another one, I promise to remember this place. I bet the meals are even better. I look over the menu and am prepared when our waiter comes over to take our orders. I order orange chicken and lo mien and an orange soda. The voice in my head nags me about exercising the minute I finish ordering, but I push it deep down and hold myself back from inhaling another egg roll.

"Hungry?" Riley teases.

"Guilty. I haven't eaten all day," I groan and rub my temples.

"Well, you're about to love the food. I've been here twice with Finn. He's the one who actually discovered this place. He and Evie came here all the time when they first started Juilliard last year."