Chapter Twenty-Three

Unsure of what's exactly appropriate to wear and regretful I didn't choose an outfit well beforehand, I decide on sky-blue dress that has thick straps and stops just above my knee. I style my hair in wavy curls and swipe on some mascara that highlights my already too-large blue eyes and blush that makes my cheekbones more prominent. Blue, unsurprisingly, changes his wrinkled black t-shirt for a sort of straighter one and dark jeans, layering his favorite dark-brown leather jacket over his lazy but annoyingly sexy attire.

I was expecting to take public transportation to Blue's father's house. I was delightfully surprised and relieved when there was a sleek town car waiting for us outside. But I am nervous – more than nervous, I'm terrified. I was so busy trying to convince him to go to the party that I forgot I was going with him and meeting his family. Well, I already know Catherine, but not his father or stepbrother. But wait... when I was curling my hair, he mentioned he has a blood brother that he doesn't see often. Will he be there tonight?

I turn to him in the back of the car and notice his index finger toying with one of his rings. "Are you nervous?" I ask him.

"No, but I am annoyed," he scoffs and looks out the tinted window.

"I'm sorry I forced you to come. Catherine made it seem like your..." I stop when he flashes me a warning expression. I smile softly and try again: "Theodore really wants you to be there. But if you want, we can turn back and return his gift."

"Nah, you already got the little shit the toy car, and the store is closed by now," he says with an agitated sigh. "And it's a little too late to turn back. We're a block away. Let's just get this over with." He rolls his eyes and turns to the door, his hand on the handle. Eager to get through the one hour he promised to celebrate his brother's party.

The car rolls to a stop and he's quick to climb out of the car. I scoot over to the door and take his outstretched hand. I flush as my hand meets his and he pulls me into his chest. I quickly notice we're not getting wet from the light rain and look up at the tall black umbrella. I didn't see an umbrella in Blue's hand earlier. And then I look down to the handle and see Evan, Blue's father's chauffer, holding the umbrella with a gentle smile. I flush even more but Blue rolls his eyes and mutters under his breath and yanks the umbrella away.

"Blue –" I begin to scold him, but he grabs my hand, forcibly nods goodbye to the kind man who doesn't bat an eye at Blue's rudeness and guides me to the townhouse. My jaw drops loose at the cream paneling exterior and black balconies. I can only imagine what the inside looks like...

I reach out to ring the doorbell, but he grabs my hand and shakes his head. "No need to make them get off their asses," he says and pulls out set of keys. He twirls them on his finger once then shoves it in the door and pushes it open. I feel uncomfortable practically barging in without formally announcing our arrival, but this is his father's house.

He gently tugs me inside but before he can pull me through the immaculate foyer, I tug on his hand, stopping him. He looks back at me. "Shouldn't we take off our shoes before going inside?" I ask him.

"It's not like he doesn't have a cleaning service scrub the floors every few days – don't worry about it. Come on," he tells me, and I reluctantly let him guide me into the house. I'm instantly impressed by the pristinely white walls and gold accent trims and wooden table in the middle room with a vase of fresh white flowers. Next to the table is a staircase with gold and black railings.

I'm gawking up at the crystal chandelier that reflects its glowing lights off the glossy marble floors when I hear a deep voice call out, "Blue – you came!" When I look up a man appears from a doorway on our right; behind him are gray couches and a wide curved TV. I instantly know this man is his father. He's tall and slender and has wavy brown hair that slopes back with a few gray hairs. As he walks over to us, I notice he has dark-brown eyes and deep dimples. He's basically Blue but a much older version of him. The similarities blow my mind and I lose all my manners momentarily when he holds out a wide hand for me to shake.