Broken (Prologue)

"How are you feeling today Brooke?"

Brooke sighed as she looked down uncomfortable trying to relive her past.  The pain was evident in her face.  Each day it got better but the feelings of him were still there.  It's been 3 months since he disappeared without a trace.

"I don't want to talk today.  I don't want to talk to anyone about my problems.  In fact, I don't even want to be here." Brooke's facial expression remained dull and unimpressed at the fact that her family bought her here to help her get over him.  He was her everything and she felt incomplete without him. 

"Well then I guess then we can just sit in silence for the next half hour."  The therapist crossed her legs and sat her notebook on her desk.

"Okay, that's fine with me."

And that's exactly, what they did.  After the end of their session Brooke walked out of the office walking past her parents who were sitting in the lobby.

The two stood up and greeted the young woman who stood in front of them. 

"Any progress today?" Brooke's mother hopefully asked.

"Unfortunately, no.  We just sat in silence for half an hour while she stared off into space.  I've never seen anything like this before.  With time she'll open up she's grieving and people deal with grieving differently.  Just give her some time."  Dr. Harper reassured.

"Thank you, I'm sorry about today.  I know your time is valuable."  Brooke's step father replied.

"It's fine have a good evening."

———

By the time the two made it home, Brooke was already back at her small one bedroom apartment that she once shared with Erik.  Ghosts of their past still haunted her as the little things from the cracked photo frame to the dent in the wall next her bed, that was now concealed by her bed post reminded her of the intimate times they shared together. 

After taking off her clothes before she got in the shower to clean herself, she examined herself in the mirror.  Her dreads haven't been locked since he left and were now somewhat matted she needed to pamper herself.  She pulled her bottom lip down revealing the ancient writing that was on the inside of the bottom flap of her lip.  The blueish purple light shimmered in the mirror. She looked slimmer compared to her naturally thick frame.  Don't get her wrong she still had hips for days.  But her stomach was flatter because she hadn't been eating as much these days. 

While she showered, flashbacks raced through her mind.  She imagined his hands over her sensitive areas of her body.  His massive hands cupping her breasts, his right hand holding the nape of her neck.  To the small curve in her lower back as he pressed his body against hers. 

She cried in the shower holding herself while the suds from the soap evaporated from her body.  By the time she finished showering the water was no longer hot anymore and her eyes were piercing red from a combination of her crying and the soap that was in her eyes.  He was a drug that she so desperately needed. 

After drying off her body and lathering her skin she got ready for bed even though it was only 9pm.  Her days were shorter since she took a leave of absence from work.  She was no longer motivated to do anything since her depression hindered her from giving her all.  Before going to bed she walked to the front of her apartment to make herself a cup of tea.  In her living room sat Erik Stevens himself.  He was wearing a red hoodie with an outline of the continent of Africa on it and paired it with Adidas sweats and low top sneakers. His dreads were pulled up into a small pony tail.  Erik's breathing was slow and calm as if he had always been there. 

Brooke blinked her eyes rapidly as though her eyes deceived her. 

"Erik?"

"Missed me princess?" He shoved his hands in his pocket as he was studying her every move.

"What the fuck are you doing here? And how the hell did you get into my apartment?"

"it's not that hard to pick locks you just don't know how to." Erik shrugged.

"Get the fuck out of here Erik.  You left me." She angrily gritted through her teeth.  She tried not to let him see her cry but the more she realized that he was here, actually here, her emotions made her vulnerable. 

"Baby, baby I had to go I made a promise that i had to fulfill. You know there's a genuine connection between us.  I know you won't forgive me easily but at least just hear me out.  After I left for the military I wasn't the same.  I killed men,women, and children.  Because I had a goal.  I had a plan—"

"What was this plan?" Brooke's voice nervously shook. 

"To kill King T'Challa."

Brooke looked up at him surprised at what he had just said.