Baby Dreads

Weeks had passed and Erik was finally cooperating with Brooke since their first encounter. He would always do his part of the assignment and gave it to her at the start of class but the two never met in person to work together on assignments that were supposed to be done as a team. The two finally met at the library to complete their first assignment together, Brooke sat with her MacBook Pro in front of her going over the assignment before Erik got there. Twenty minutes later, Erik walked into the reserved study room carrying a bag of food from Subway and a drink on his hand. He wore a green short sleeved shirt with black jeans and Adidas. The gold African pendant hung low from his necklace.

Erik then sat his stuff down before taking his backpack off and took out his MacBook Pro to start working.

Brooke looked up from what she was doing and smiled at him. "You finally came through hu? What changed your mind?"

Erik then took out his sandwich from his bag and picked up a half of his sandwich.

"We've been acing every assignment together and we don't even work together. Just imagine if we were to actually work together."

"We'd be unstoppable." Brooke and Erik both said in unison.

"Those white kids already hate that we're in that class. We're the two smartest people in that class. I've done my research on you as well, you're really smart Erik, so why don't you ever seem like you're not interested in being here, or anywhere for that matter?" I looked up at him and watched as he took a mouthful of his sandwich.

With his mouthful, he shrugged and started talking. "Being here I just don't feel normal. Like, I guess and I always have to bring my A game because if I don't then they're just waiting for me to fail. I didn't come here to make friends I came here so that I could fulfill my father's dreams of me getting an education."

"I'm sure your father is very proud of you." I watched his body shift in movements and tense up after I mentioned his father. He continued eating and spaced in and out of our conversations until he finished his sub. It was as if he checked out of reality and was in his own little world and oblivious to the world around him.

"Okay, lets get started on chapter three shall we?"

Erik nodded and I watched his demeanor turn cold as it usually was.

———

After my study session with Erik, before leaving Erik sucked down the remainder of his drink that was in his cup. His baby dreads were forming again now that he's been back from being shipped off to the Middle East during the military. He actually waited for me to gather my things before leaving. Once I left the study room, Erik trailed behind keeping his eyes on me as we walked together out of the library.

"Aye, Erik is this your girl bro?" Jason from one of Erik's Trig classes asked while walking up to us.

"Ahhh, we're just—" Erik started.

"Oh she's one of those." His voice raised an octave and winked at me while his attention was towards Erik.

"You know I thought you were into white bitches man, remember Paula and Jasmine? They were raving about how great that threesome was man."

"That was a one time thing during freshman year and don't ever mention that again, Paula and Jasmine were both black just fair skinned. I'm into black women and black women only."

"Like to keep it in the races hu? I see you man hey I ain't mad, I've banged a few black chicks myself and let me just say, they fuck better too they just don't do anal."

I then looked at him disgusted and remembered where I was. I attempted to hold my tongue for the longest and eventually gave up.

"Look, I don't know who the fuck you think you are. But no man whether black or white will fucking talk about my sisters or me like that. I don't give a fuck who you are 'White Boy Joe' but if you ever fucking come near me again with your stereotypical 'I want my invitation to the cookout' headass it will be a problem, kapish?

"Alright, Alright," he held his hands up in defeat with a smile on his face. "Just can't take a joke hu? You like 'em feisty don't ya?"

Erik clenched his fist trying not to punch the shit out of the white boy that stood in front of him. His veins in his arms were now visible as his temper was on the verge of breaking loose.

"No need to say anything i just wanna see you two at our frat party this weekend at Kappa Theta's House on Saturday at 6." He then licked his lips and gestured his hands as if he were forming a coke bottle with his hands.

Jason looked hungry and I was his meal that he so desperately needed. "I've never seen you around pretty lady, come out get to know some people."

He then chuckled and turned around to walk off.

I found myself protectively holding onto Erik's shoulder even though we weren't together and barely knew each other for that matter, but I did know that whatever I did calmed him down because Erik could pop off at any second.

"It's okay...it's okay don't let him get to you. He's not worth it. We fight with our words not our fists." I then caressed the length of his arms and felt the tension in his arm ease up.

"I'm sorry I should've said something but the prick ticked me off, i had to remember where I was. He had no right to talk to you like you're a fucking peace of meat."

"No, Erik it's okay you did the right thing. We don't need to tick off anybody. The last thing we needed to see was 'Angry Black Couple beat up Frat Boy' in the headlines for the campus news paper." Brooke chuckled and took his hand and led them both outside of the library.

"I never realized how chill you were till today and the way you stood up for yourself made you a boss ass bitch."

"See what happens when you actually start hanging out with me?" Brooke chuckled as the two continued walking to her dorm.

Brooke's iPhone vibrated in her hand and turned her hand over to see that it was Daniel. She pressed ignore and continued talking with Erik who was now fully invested in her.