Ch. 65: This Is War

"It's the moment of truth and the moment to lie. And the moment to live and the moment to die. The moment to fight, the moment to fight, To fight, to fight, to fight."

This is War- Thirty Seconds To Mars

-

"Dawn." I feel my shoulder shake, and I'm awoken by someone.

It's Reese. "Hey, I'm going to go home now. You can stay here, or you can stay the night at my house if you like."

I look at the clock, and it's already midnight. I've been asleep since 7pm, and yet I'm still tired.

"I think I should stay."

"But what about your car?" I hear Jake say behind me. He's awake? I turn to him, and his arms tighten around my waist.

"I don't want to leave you." I confess.

"You can get dropped off at Reese's house, and then pick up your car and come back."

He's right. I don't want to be alone without transportation. At the same time I don't want him to be alone. "We will Uber in the morning." I don't have an Uber account, nor do I even have a debit card, but I'm sure Jake has a debit card. I'll force him to make an Uber account if I have to.

"Okay! Great." Reese says happily clapping her hands equally as excited. "We're going to head out now." She moves for the door where Jesse lay rest; his head against the door side. I catch Reese's wrist to stop her. She turns back to me.

"Thank you. For everything. I really appreciate everything you've done for me today. You didn't have to. Neither of you did." My eyes glancing at Jesse who nods with a smile.

"No problem. Remember I'm one call away." She smiles, and walks out with Jesse who is hot on her tail.

I should get up and thank Jesse properly, but this bed is way too comfortable. I'm sure this will not be the last time I'll see him either.

I lay rest in my spot, and I feel Jake relax once more.

I much rather find sleep again, but now I lay awake with Jake.

"We need to talk." I hear myself say.

I can feel his stare. His worries. He seems to look at me this way whenever he's distressed and frightened from the unknown. Like that night that JC found us.

"What about?" He traces my arm. I pay no attention but the ceiling above.

"Why was he arrested?" I will not speak his name, as long as he is walking and breathing.

I know Martinez already told me, but I want to hear it from Jake. He is the only person that makes me feel sane; everyone else I feel like lies and cheats.

"Do we really have to talk about this right now?" He groans.

"Yes." I say. "I don't care if it's late." I look at him. His eyes are sunken in, tired with darkness and gloominess.

"Alice." He simply answers.

I widen my eyes at him to continue.

"She reported him to the police. One rule is if the word rape is spread to the police department in association to the Underground, they'll shut it down."

"That's good then, right?"

"Wrong, baby." He cups my cheek at him. "He will get out eventually. Ledger's into deep with the police station. His uncle's are lawyers, and they'll get him out in a few days, maybe a week if we're lucky." He rubs under my eye with his thumb, caressing my stress to the surface.