Ch. 76: Nervous

Nervous- The Neighborhood

"You've got me nervous to speak. So I just won't say anything at all."

-

Dawn P.O.V.

"So are you going to tell me what happened with Ledger?" I ask him. We've been laying in silence for nearly 2o minutes. I feel less stressed out from everything, but Jake drives me insane.

If he would have left, I think I would have left. It's the fact he chooses not to listen to me. Like when he purposely wore dirty clothes to the pre thanksgiving dinner. It went to shit anyway, but it's the fact he does these things just to piss me off. I'm glad we're taking the step of listening to each other though.

He rubs my arm that is wrapped around him, as he glances down at my eyes. "We're going to duel January 27th."

"My birthday is January 24th." I confess, as I look across the room.

He tilts my chin up towards him. "Are you serious?"

"Yes. I'm not the type to lie about my birthday." I answer sarcastically. He rolls his eyes at me, to which I slap his chest playfully.

"Well fuck, I wish it wasn't so close."

"Me too." I snuggle into his side more, "What are going to do about the notes?" I mention Alice and Serena's ordeal.

"I have no idea."

My phone suddenly rings on the charger. Jake picks it up from his bedside table and flicks the phone on. Mom.

I quickly unplug the phone, and press the device in my ear. "Hello." I sit up from Jake's body.

"Where are you?" She asks without greeting me.

"I'm at Jake's house."

"Well, when are you coming home?"

"Soon."

"Dawn Montgomery Rivers, I've had a messed up morning. Can you not remember I went to the police station today for the investigation, or do you only care about yourself?"

"I'm sorry." Sometimes I do forget about every problem that comes in my direction. It's not meant to be on purpose. "I'll be home in twenty minutes."

She ends the call, and I look back at my blank screen phone.

"I wish you could stay." Jake mumbles, I look to him, and his eyes are closed looking up at the ceiling. I don't know if he meant me to hear it, but I wish the same. This bubble of just Jake and I makes me feel at home. Even though we fight some of the times, he makes me feel like I'm worth something, and that I should keep fighting for what we both want.

I kiss his chest, and look up at his face. I draw a heart across his chest, and laughter arises from him. "Stop that tickles." He looks back at me.

"I have to go."

"I wish you wouldn't."

"I know. I know. I can't leave her alone though, plus she would have my head if I didn't go home. She's still my mom."

"I know, baby." He kisses my forehead. "Let's go." As soon as I'm up he swats my naked butt. I glare at him, to which he laughs at me. We dress in silence, and we head to Jake's car. I make sure not to leave the box full of letters from Jake from the past. Knowing him, he'd probably trash it.

I don't understand why he's so shy about them or even embarrassed. It's a piece of him that I wish I saw, but I couldn't because of a selfish inconsiderate bitch took that option from me. I'll never get over it. I'll never be okay of what Lauren has done.