Part 6: date

On their first date, all the boy wore was a camouflage hoodie and jeans. He leaned his back against the wall, pushing up his sleeves and then rolling them back down, as an activity to do while waiting.

The girl showed up more dressed up than he, obviously. But not too much. She simply bested him with shoes, shined black boots. Over her body, she wore a fitting denim dress.

The boy's eyes widened when he saw the girl. And then he smiled. She blushed.

He took her by the lower back, and the two of them headed into the cinema together.

They bought popcorn and drinks.

You look pretty today, the boy said to her, when they were in line to go in.

I thought you'd say it sooner was her honest reply, and he laughed.

They sat in the cinema, and the movie began.

There was the crunch of popcorn, the slurp of drinks. The boy's arm rested across her shoulders, and their eyes glued to the screen.

Somewhere along the line, the girl's hand found its way to the boy's knee, and he used his free hand to entwine with hers.

Their hands didn't move for the rest of the night, not when the movie ended and they left the cinema, not when they were strolling through the mall, shopping for sunglasses.