Part 25: make-up

The boy understood he had been distant with her, talking about Alfie. There was a reason he didn't want her to know things about him.

But as they sat side by side, her eyes carefully averted away from his, he felt a wound open in his heart. Her coldness was creating that hole. He decided he hated when they were like this.

The bus huffed to a stop, her stop.  She stood up to leave without goodbye, but the boy grabbed her wrist.

Wait, okay he said Okay. I'm sorry I didn't tell you anything.

You're sorry? The girl repeated, watching him with dull eyes.

He answered Yes, I'm sorry. I was stupid. I promise I'll make it up to you.

When she didn't protest, he arranged a time and place for her to meet him. Next Friday. 4.00. The on-going carnival.

The girl shot him a curious look, but nodded. He nodded back, smiling at her. 

Okay he said Goodnight.

Her lips tugged at the sight of his smile, just like her heart. The girl nodded, whispering Goodnight.

His grip loosened and she hurried down the bus steps before the doors could close, wrist free.  The boy watched her fading shadow walk against the breeze down the road.

He pulled out his phone and texted his friend: Next Friday, 4. U better be free.

His corrupt friend.