Part 41: appreciate

The friend understood she was in a hurry without her having to rush him. They went flying over the speed limit without the friend even noticing.

The girl tried not to squirm, bracing herself on the sides Um listen ... I really appreciate what you're doing.

They made a sharp swerve, and the boy's friend flashed her a grin It's no problem at all.

I ... yeah she said Thank you.

The friend's face clouded with thought as he responded Like I said. It's no problem.

They continued the way in silence, and when they arrived there, stopping with a sharp jerk, the girl said she'd tell the boy of his help.

The friend said That won't be necessary and grinned at her Take care, okay?

She called out a last thanks into the air before his tires went screeching. And then he was gone.

The girl turned around and faced the house in front of her. Small, one floor. Dishevelled and neglected — but none of that mattered. She would have gladly spent many of her nights in this house if that meant she got to be with the boy.

She had to tell him that.

Her fingers were numb and quaking at her sides.  She walked slowly up to the patio, run-down and white paint cracked.  She reached to knock, but the rip of sudden screams through the door made her stiffen.  Horrible, soul-disturbing shrieks.

The girl recoiled for just a second, and then took a breath.  She knocked on the door.