Part 28: fail

The girl sat on the bus and wondered: did she love the boy? She knew she liked him, a lot. She knew she cared about him more than she'd cared about any boy.

She wondered what it might be like to love him. At this idea, a warm smile spread across her lips.

When she'd arrived at the carnival, she found that the boy was already standing there at the entrance, hands in his pockets.  He caught sight of her and grinned as she ran over to meet him.

Amazing he told her, slipping his hand through her arm to her lower back. He kissed her and she breathed him in.

And the girl knew—she loved him.

Where's your friend? she asked. He wasn't here yet, so the boy and the girl stood there, his arm huddled around her and her body leaning into his.  They stood there and waited as people fled into the carnival behind them.

The girl didn't know it, but the boy's arms around her were meant for protection.  As though he could shield her from the truth about his friend, about himself.

His friend arrived.

The boy's friend was messy haired. The boy and the girl caught sight of him instantly. The girl asked Is that him?

She waved to his friend, and he came jogging over to them.

The boy's insides churned, but seeing the girl's bright face he introduced them to each other. The girl extended a hand to shake and the friend shook it, smiling charmingly. Too charmingly.

Pleasure to meet you the friend told her You're as beautiful as he says.

The girl exhaled a laugh, a blush blooming Beautiful?

Oh, yeah. This guy here won't shut up about you.

The girl caught the boy's eye and her blush grew. The boy smiled at how flushed she was.

It's so nice to finally meet one of his friends the girl said, and suggested they buy him a drink—but the friend insisted he buy.

No, sorry, we can't the boy exclaimed suddenly, and took the girl by the arm.  She looked sharply up at him We've got to go. I booked the Ferris wheel.

Lie.

The friend eyed the boy, almost amused, and the boy shot him a cold look back. He turned to the girl and she was glaring at him.

Don't be rude she told him He's offering to treat.

That won't be necessary the boy shot her a look, teeth grit together but she was already turning back to the friend, not having any of it.

We'd love to have a drink with you she told him, and the boy cursed foully in his head.

The friend smiled Likewise.