Chapter 19

"All wings, report in," Poe commanded, wanting to get procedure over with as soon as possible before they reached their target.

"Blue Leader, standing by," Snap said.

"Blue Three, standing by," Jess said.

"Red Four, standing by," a younger pilot named Bastian said.

"Blue Nine, standing by," Nova said.

"Red Six, standing by," Asty said.

"Blue Two, standing by," another young pilot, Yolo Ziff said.

Many others followed, with a variety of tones. The younger pilots were seemingly eager, a hint of excitement in their voices for the coming battle, being too young to know the horrors they could face. The elders of the group were quieter, a hint of dread in their tones, stilling themselves for the battle ahead.

Nova was among them, despite being among the younger ones – born three years post the second Death Star's destruction.

Destroying a large space station was one thing. Destroying an entire planet with only a rather small fleet of X-Wings was another.

"Everyone clear on the plan?" Poe said.

"Yessir," came the reply, all voices layered atop one another in the comms channel.

"Good."

Nova exhaled a nervous breath. She could be patient, but the knowledge of who was down on the planet's surface had her on edge. She had confidence in their skills, but would it be enough?

All they could do was wait for the signal.

"Okay, now," Jess piped up. "Nova, about you and P–"

"We are not having this conversation, Jess," Nova cut her off. "With or without the entire fleet listening in."

A collective chuckle went around the pilots, as well as a few disappointed groans. Jess clearly was not the only one dying for answers about the two best pilots in the Resistance.

Jess was undeterred. "Poe –"

Poe chuckled. "I'm gonna have to agree with Captain Organa. We're not doing this now."

Another laugh circulated the group, this time accompanied by a whoop.

"What's with the formalities, Dameron?" Snap asked.

"Yeah. You never call Nova 'Captain'," Jess added.

"Not when you're around," Nova muttered, just loud enough for the comms to pick it up clearly.

"Oh, I see." A smirk was evident in Snap's voice.

An even louder fit of laugher broke out at Snap's implication.

If they had been on the ground, Nova was certain she would have hit him. As it was, she grimaced, tugging at her gloves as a distraction. She had accepted long ago that her relationship with Poe, no matter what it was, was a talking point amongst many Resistance members – something that earned her many dirty looks from newer recruits who had taken a liking to Poe.

Before, she had been able to brush it off with good humour. But now, as she called her own feelings into question, she found the jokes harder to take.

"Zip it, Wexley," she warned, her voice low.

Poe could feel the discomfort in her voice. At least their kiss remained a secret from the rest – he hoped she could at least find comfort in that. "Alright, let's focus up."