Chapter 52

Kijimi had not changed much since Nova's last visit only four years prior.

It was just as cold. Just as dark. Just as full of unsavoury characters.

Only now she was not one of them. No longer did she walk the streets behind black cloth and metal, letting her reputation proceed her, and often leaving a body or two behind her.

As was the nature of her lifestyle at the time.

One thing had changed – the First Order occupation.

Not even the New Republic had wanted to try and tame Kijimi – a show of their weakness that the criminal underworld exploited to thrive in the power vacuums created by the end of the Galactic Civil War. Kijimi became a hotspot for less than legal trades; with no governing body it survived on organised chaos, and the understanding everyone was out for themselves.

The First Order were not there in the interest of cracking down on galactic crime, or even to help improve the lives of the planet's residents. It was a show of power – doing what the New Republic never could.

Squadrons of stormtroopers covered every inch of the city with patrols. Their boots were loud against the cobblestones as they marched to the beat of fear. The pristineness of their white uniforms looked more out of place than ever. And by extension, more threatening.

Poe had gone ahead alone to scout out the streets, leaving the droids, Rey, Nova and Finn hidden down a smaller street.

"I don't like this," Finn muttered, tugging the hood of his recently acquired jacket lower over his face.

Nova had her back to him, keeping watch around the wall.

Being back made her uneasy. She had been quiet since they landed, avoiding eye contact and conversation with her companions, finding herself slipping back into old habits. The last thing she needed was the attention and judgement that would come with the revelation of her last career.

They had bigger things to keep their focus on.

"I don't either," she admitted, ducking back to avoid a patrol. "But I trust Poe."

On cue, Poe appeared back with them. "They're everywhere."

A woman's cry across the street briefly caught their attention. Troopers were restraining her and her partner as their house was raided. Looking for contraband. Taking her child for 'recruitment'.

"Alright, I know what we should do," the pilot continued.

"So do I. We should leave," C-3PO cut in.

"Clam it, Threepio," he scolded. "Follow me."

They did as instructed, keeping close together with lowered heads as they moved quickly through the streets.

Poe stopped them at another corner leading onto the larger main street. "Alright, let's head down –"

The sound of a primed blaster and the feeling of it against the back of his head cut him off.

"Heard you were spotted at Monk's Gate," a rough, female voice said. "Thought, 'he's not stupid enough to come back here'."

"Oh, you'd be surprised," Poe retorted, despite the nerves evident in his voice.

The rest of the group came out from behind him to see what was happening, reaching for their weapons before Poe signalled for them to hold.

The newcomer was a woman, presumably human. She was tall, slim, and dressed in a maroon flight suit with bronzium accents. Her face was covered by a helmet made of the same metal. She wielded a set of twin pistols, one of which remained trained on Poe's head, the other resting at her side.