Chapter 55

"I don't know why they're not following us, but I don't trust it," Poe said, leaning on Nova's seat.

The console sparked, and Chewie growled.

"Landing gear's busted? How busted?"

Nova groaned, burying her face in her hands. The overwhelming feeling of everything falling apart was starting to gnaw at her chest – a sensation hindered by Poe's hand on her shoulder. She knew the intention, but felt his grip tighten a little too much. Heard the grunt of discomfort as he disturbed his injury.

"Chewie, see what you can do with it," she said, rising from her seat.

The Wookiee nodded.

Taking Poe's hand, she led him back to the bunks in silence. Once he was seated, she set about searching through his bag and the drawers for medical supplies. Again, she sighed - they were woefully understocked.

"It's fine," Poe assured her quietly.

Nova shook her head, her lower lip caught between her teeth in thought. With what they had, all she could do was clean the wound, thinly bandage it and hope it did not get infected.

Taking a seat beside him with what she had gathered, she began to roll his sleeve up, exposing the ugly wound. "Can you...?"

"Yeah." Poe nodded, holding the fabric out of the way for her.

She grabbed a clean rag, dampening it with a canteen of water before bringing it up to clean his arm. Her movements were slow and gentle, letting the coolness of the rag sooth the heat of the wound.

There was not much to clean aside from the excess burning – by nature of its cause, it had already been cauterized.

Poe watched her silently, relaxing under her touch. His eyes would meet hers every now and then, but she would look away quickly.

She felt out of place under his affectionate gaze.

"If I could heal you, I would."

"Don't you dare." His voice was low – gentle but firm.

A short silence followed.

"Nova –"

"I'm sorry."

He went quiet, waiting for her to continue.

"For Kijimi. I was way out of line. I had no right –" she trailed off, chewing the inside of her cheek. "You were right."

Poe sighed. "Look at me."

Wordlessly, she obliged.

"I'm sorry too. I shouldn't have let that slip; I was out of line too. And maybe I should have told you in the first place."

"No, you shouldn't." She stood, moving to retrieve what little bandages they had. "It's your business. If you don't want to –"

"Hey." He spoke softly, catching her wrists when she returned to him, gently stilling her movements.

A confused look flashed across her face, only for it to be wiped away.

Poe pulled her forwards until he was able to crash his lips onto hers. There was a pause on Nova's part – mostly out of surprise – before she relaxed into him, sinking back into the seat beside him.

"You're forgiven," he murmured, pressing his forehead to hers. "You don't have to forgive me."

"I do. I forgive you," Nova smiled. "Now, can I get back to fixing your arm?"

"In a minute."

She rolled her eyes, giggling when he kissed her again. It was only a brief moment – she could not bear to leave his injury unbound for much longer – but it was sweet, and to be savoured. Moments like those were few and far between with the current state of the war.