Chapter 29

The Resistance fleet came slowly in to view, making their final approach towards the Dreadnought. It was hardly an intimidating sight to the might of the First Order – five Star-Fortress Bombers accompanied by a scattering of X-Wings and A-Wings. Not quite a force to be reckoned with, but it was the best and only shot they had.

Tallie was at the head of the pack – a young female lieutenant quickly climbing the ranks of the fighter corps, and acting leader of Blue Squadron in Snap Wexley's stead. Initially the role had gone to Nova, who turned it down stating she was not fit for leadership. No one had pushed her further on it, letting her pass the position on to Tallie for the time being.

"Bombers, keep that tight formation. Fighters, protect the bombers. It's not every day we get a shot at a dreadnought, so let's make this count!"

"Copy that, Blue Leader! You get us there, we'll give it to 'em."

"Get ready!" Nova's X-Wing banked to join the fleet facing down the enemy, preparing for another imminent dogfight. "Fighters incoming."

A fresh fleet of TIE fighters was released from the ship. Larger than the first wave, they swarmed towards the Resistance forces like bugs, and soon they would be overrun.

"Gunners, look alive!" Tallie warned.

The two sides clashed head-on in a mix of green and red, quickly mingling with sparks and smoke as shots found their mark. The Resistance comm channel was thrown into chaos as more and more pilots were lost, while those that remained went into a panic. Calls of distress and various warnings blurred into a single wall of sound.

The bomber at the centre of the fleet was the first of its kind to fall. Blasted until its engines could no longer sustain it, it fell from flight in flames, all systems flickering out. The calls of 'mayday!' broke off in static.

Nova kept her head, zipping through each TIE fighter she encountered and executed. She made another pass below the Dreadnought, hot in pursuit of a fighter trailing one of her fellow pilots. This in turn distracted her from the auto cannons moving to a new target.

Fortunately for her, BB-6 did not miss the crucial shift, immediately alerting their pilot to the fresh danger.

Nova grimaced. "We've got a problem."

"I see it." Poe's signature black and orange X-Wing swooped by her. "Tallie, they've targeted the fleet and begun the priming sequence."

"Copy that," Tallie replied. "We're almost there. Bombardiers, begin your drop sequence."

Nova chewed the inside of her cheek; brown eyes scanning her surroundings. TIE fighters were still swarming them like flies – for every one they shot down at least three more seemed to appear. They were outnumbered, and almost out of time.

She swerved to avoid an incoming fighter, managing to graze its wing with a single blast – enough to disable it. Unfortunately, that set it on a crash course directly into the side of one of the bombers. The flames caught. A chain reaction was triggered.

The armed bombs detonated, tearing the ship apart from the inside out. Bits of debris were sent flying, smashing into two other bombers, dooming them to the same fate.

Nova's stomach dropped. Her grip on her controls faltered as her hands began to shake. She managed a wavering breath, flinching as she swerved to miss another TIE fighter. Shock and guilt washed over her like a tide.

Her heart jumped what felt like ten paces, the battle catching up to her. A shot narrowly grazing her starboard engine was enough to snap her back. Her chest still felt tight as she fought on, her shock stealing away her voice from her throat.

One bomber – the Cobalt Hammer – was still standing, surviving through the rough waters of battle by the skin of its teeth. It had made it to the Dreadnought, unscathed but unprepared for the drop.

Poe pulled up below the ship, level with the glass dome upon the bottom, attached to the primary cannon and constructed to hold the gunner. "Paige, come in! We're over the target, why aren't your bay doors open? You're the only bomber left, it's all down to you!"

The cannon shifted to its idle position, locking into place to allow the young woman access to the rest of her ship. A moment later, the bay doors were opened, but no further action followed.

Nova made a pass by the ship with gritted teeth, trying her hardest to forge a clear path for the Cobalt Hammer. Something was wrong – she could feel it. She chewed the inside of her cheek, continuing to give chase to a TIE fighter away from what had become the centre of the battle.

Poe was growing increasingly agitated. "Paige, drop the payload! Now!"

The attack came swiftly, hitting the cockpit of the bomber in a barrage of green, soon sparking flames and smoke. Flight systems compromised beyond salvation, it was set on a slow trajectory down towards the Dreadnought.

Time seemed to slow to a blur. Noise faded to silence. Nova's breath caught in her through as all she could do was wait. Wait for their fate to be decided for them.

The bombs dropped right into the centre of the beast, more than one hundred balls of destruction finding their mark. The enemy ship crumbled under their attack, the flames and explosions spreading outwards until there was no way back. It reached the bridge, and soon enough, it was falling.

The final bomber went with it, engulfed by the fire.

Nova's jaw clenched as she followed what remained of the fleet back to the Raddus at high speeds. If they had gone in shorthanded, they were coming out shorter. A pinch of the handful of star fighters they had were returning – before long there would be none left.

She could feel the hands of guilt on her shoulders forcing her down below the tide. She had had a hand in depleting their numbers. Accident or not, it did not matter. While the attack had been a success, providing another setback for the First Order, they had set themselves back far more.

War had a demanding price, but they were paying too much.

She was one of the last to enter the hanger, barely landing before the familiar and safe blue light of hyperspace surrounded the Resistance flagship. She tore off her gloves and helmet, throwing them against her control panel. Running her hands over her face, she made an effort to mask the cocktail of anger and guilt wracking her insides. Once again, she had survived.

Her thoughts lingered on those who should have been there with her.