Chapter 33

Having acquired a fresh change of clothes and absentmindedly brushed her hair out with her fingers, Nova found herself situated in Leia's quarters. She found peace in the silence and solitude, sat obediently by her mother's side. She thought she looked discontent in her rest, trying to find a way back – back to the Resistance, back to her family.

BB-6 had taken it upon themself to stand guard at the door, ready to give any 'strangers' who entered a stern comment in binary, or a shock to the ankles if absolutely necessary. They were taking the whole matter very seriously, pacing back and forth like a lothcat on the prowl, only taking their eye off the door to look back to their master at regular intervals.

C-3PO too came and went, carrying out his business as dutifully and proper as always. He was quieter than usual, any nervous chatter kept to a minimum when in Nova's presence – having found her unreceptive to conversation.

Nova held Leia's worn hand in hers, gently brushing a calloused thumb across her knuckles. She hoped the gesture would bring comfort to them both somehow.

Her brain ran in circles, each time coming back to the same haunting image. The flames of the explosion engulfing the hanger faster than a scream could leave her throat, consuming everything in its path. But not Nova, though she wished it had. Maybe then she would be able to shake the dark presence that had been the catalyst – the one to raise everything to the ground around her.

"How can you still believe he'll return?" she muttered. "That there is still light in him? After he's done all of this, how do you see a way back?"

If Leia were conscious, she would have said some words about hope, but it would have done little console her or change her mind. Hope was hard to find, the last couple of days making it almost impossible for her.

"What was it you used to always say? 'Hope is like the sun'?"

Well, her sun was eclipsed, leaving her alone in the moon's cold shadow.

She did not know how long she had been alone before Poe walked in, closely followed by BB-8 and two others.

"Are we good to be in here?" he asked, glancing down at BB-6; the blue and white astromech seemed to be glaring at the newcomers.

"Yeah, why?" Nova frowned, looking between the group with sceptical eyes. She could see Finn stood behind him, trying to keep his distance from a miffed-looking BB-6. Beside him stood a dark-haired, short female, dressed for maintenance. Nova's heart sank when she recognised her as Rose, younger sister to Cobalt Squadron's Paige. She could read the grief in her eyes like a book.

Looking back to Poe, she noted the grave expression on his face. It was what she had come to know as his 'we need to talk' expression.

She responded with a quirked brow.

---

"Just give it to me one more time, simpler," Poe said, looking between Finn and Rose somewhat blankly.

"I thought it was pretty simple," Nova muttered, ceasing her pacing to resume her place beside her mother.

Poe gently rolled his eyes at the back of her head.

Finn pressed on with his explanation undeterred. "So, the First Order is only tracking us from one Destroyer – the lead one."

"So we blow that one up," Poe cut in eagerly.

"I like where your head's at, but no," Finn corrected. "They'd only start tracking us from another one. But if we sneak on board the lead Destroyer and disable the tracker without them realising –"