Chapter 60

Many ships had already touched down by the time Nova was able to land her own X-Wing. The whirr and gentle wind created by their engines was like the beating of great wings as they descended amongst the trees, each one like a beautifully sculpted and coloured bird.

Nova's gloves, helmet and flight vest lay discarded in her cockpit.

She had foregone the ladder, instead swinging herself over the side of her ship and onto the ground. Her flight suit was loosened, the arms tied around her waist, revealing the simple black tank top she wore underneath. Her hair, already messy from the cut and being kept beneath her helmet, fluffed up a little with the humidity of the planet, and stuck to her forehead in places from the sweat.

Bastila and Dorn had landed not far from her, and stood together, wearing matching mournful expressions. Grieving the loss of a sister and partner.

"I am so, so sorry," Nova said as she reached them.

Dorn hung his head, a dejected sigh escaping his chest. "No one's blaming you, General. We all knew the risks."

"Yeah," Nova murmured, wrapping an arm around Bastila's shoulder as she sniffled.

"We won," he said. "Lel would think it was worth it. Viado too."

"We don't have to think like that anymore."

"Some of us still do."

She paused, and then nodded. Everyone had to find their own of grieving to move forward.

Haken and Thessa soon joined them; the latter throwing herself into the hug between her two superiors before anyone could stop her. The former had read the situation far better, placing a hand on Dorn's shoulder in comfort.

Bastila pulled away from the younger woman, retreating into Nova's side before the boys were able to free her from the situation. From there she was comfortably pulled against Dorn, continuing to quietly cry.

Nova gave Thessa a brisk squeeze before she too pried herself free from the hug, excusing herself from the squadron. She found an escape when she saw Rose assisting an injured Connix, quickly going to assist them herself.

"What happened to you?" she asked upon reaching them, placing Connix's left arm across her shoulders.

"Red trooper got me in the shin," the blonde woman grumbled.

Nova glanced down at the wound, noticing the offending black scorch on the tan trousers. "You can walk it off."

The joke earned her a glare from the Lieutenant as she was set down on a pile of crates. If Nova was not so far above her in rank, she might have given more consideration to using her good leg to good-naturedly kick her.

The brunette smirked gently, ushering over a medic to see that the younger woman was properly attended to, before being pulled into another hug, this time by Rose.

She hugged her back tightly, doing her best not to topple forwards as the other woman pulled her down to her height. She was easily able to laugh it off – Rose's joy was infectious as she continued to smile.

The pair released after a moment, and Rose darted off towards Chewie, letting the Wookiee pick her up as she launched herself into his strong, furry arms.

Nova turned back to a now bandaged Connix, offering her a hand, to which she accepted. Pulling her to stand again, letting her rest her weight on her, she helped her over to the rest of her closer group of friends, having spotted Beaumont joining them from another direction.

"I meant to say thank you," the General said quietly. "For looking after my mom when I was out on missions."

Connix smiled. "It's okay. She – she was like a mother to me too, really."