Episode V:Broken Dream

[Scene: Sara's mother gets upset when she read the newspaper at home.]

Mom: [soliloquising in anger] What is happening in society? Today's generation is impossible. A boy committed suicide because his girlfriend married someone else. What rubbish! He dumped his parents' efforts in a few seconds. I pity for his parents, who lost their innocent son. I will pray to protect my daughter from a mad world of youth.

Sara: [overjoying] Mom, where are you?

Sharada: [aside] I should put aside the topic and welcome her with the same vibe. [Unfaithful smiling] I hope you got a good time with your friends.

Sara: Yes, I enjoyed my day.

[She follows her routine, ate lunch and helped her mother with household work. They sit idle as half an hour left for her father to arrive.]

Sara: You made a delicious lunch.

Mom: My pleasure dear!

Sara: [hesitating] Mom, I want to share my problem.

Mom: Problem? Is everything fine?

Sara: I am fine but tangled with new emotions for a guy - Ansh.

Mom: Ansh, who is he?

Sara: He is my classmate and a good friend.

Mom: What! [tosses her spoon on the plate] You are aware of how much we are against these things.

Sara: [in convincing tone] Yes, I know Mom, but he is a safe person - unlike other spoilt boys.

Mom [waives her plate]: Don't beat around a bush. What do you want to say?

Sara: [taking a deep breath] I am a person who minds own business. Now, I experienced something different, and I am confused to understand and connect these signs. [squeezes her mother's hand] His presence brings a smile on my face. I wish to talk with him, but my tongue never supports me. I become anxious when he disappears before my eyes. And I doubt to not resist myself whenever he falls into any problem. I can sense his emotions. Anyhow, I still cannot understand this revolution in two days. The first time, I have a depth of concern for anyone in friendship.

[Her mother observed each movement of Sara. ]

Mom: Do you admire him, Sara?

Sara: [looking at her eyes] I am unsure.

Mom: If circumstances force you to sacrifice for the sake of his help, will you do it?

Sara: [with courage] If my sacrifice involves his happiness, then I will make with no second thought.

Mom: And if you need to make a choice between your parents and him to solve his problem, then?

Sara: Mom, you give me a hypothetical case which belongs to people whose parents are weak, [places palm on Sharada's cheek] and you are a warrior.

[Sharada collect plates and leave the dining hall with no delivery of a single word. Sara follows her in the kitchen where Sharada turn the water tap of the sink]

Mom: [in repressed tone] What was our fault to give us a betrayal?

Sara: No, I'd never betray you.

Mom: [turns back to Sara in rage] No, Sara! You hurt us. [controlling herself] Do you remember those tough days in Vrindavana?