CHAPTER ONE - The Big Dream

C H A P T E R  - O N E 

The wings fluttered delicately and stopped when the thin legs sat on a flower. I watched the bright, white butterfly in interest. My fingers twitched to hold up the camera and take a quick picture. But I waited; I wanted the perfect shot for when the butterfly would lift off into flight. My blonde hair fell onto my face. I blew it away hastily then my gaze fell back onto the butterfly. It was going to fly, the camera was at my eye, my finger on the button, so close to the perfect shot and…

“AVANNA!” comes a loud yell.

I dropped the camera and rolled my eye in frustration. The butterfly flew off and I pulled the innocent grass and threw it at the air. I pushed myself up and stormed into the palace, not wiping the mud off my feet, but I hardly cared. I ran up the flights of stairs and charged into my father’s study, my mother close by his side.

“Yes, mother?” I ask in annoyance, folding my arms, my camera dangling from my neck by the strap.

“Why aren’t you at Princess Studies? Madam Helena just came up and told us.” She demands. I began to get irritated. I detested Princess Studies, a way to help me become the perfect princess for when I finally rule the country. But this was my future mapped out by my parents, I had no control and that got me very angry that I’d given up and would take any means to steer away from my certain destiny.

“I didn’t want to go” I tell her truthfully, looking at my father who rubbed his head in frustration. Why don’t they understand all this princess and royalty stuff frustrates me?

“Avanna, you cannot simply skip the lesson because you don’t feel like it. It is compulsory you do your best and become the Princess this country needs and in future, the best queen.” She emphasises the last word but I just laugh at myself.

I feel something sharp stabbing it my skin. It was in my pocket and the hard material dug into my hip. I quickly extracted the piece of paper from my jean pocket (even though I should be wearing a dress) and opened it up. It was the brochure to the school I longed to go to. I’d been carrying it around with me, with hope that I could bring it up in a conversation with my parents, very subtly. My eyes wandered to the mahogany desk that my father was sitting at. It was all organised from the papers stacked neatly, to pens lined up perfectly. I drew a deep breath, ready to reply but my mother held up her hand.

“Avanna, no, please just try.” She pleads. “What do you want us to do?”

This is my chance. “Let me do what I want to do.”

My parents shot me a quizzical look. They don’t fully understand me, they just hand me over to my carers and guardians to take care of me. Being the king and queen didn’t leave time for quality family moments. I do miss them, but they choose everything for me and don’t give me freedom. Having everything isn’t my happiness; my happiness is photography and being free, getting out of the castle.

“What do you mean, my little Princess” my father grumbles. I stumble closer to his desk.

“Father, you know I love photography. It is my dream to become a photographer and take amazing pictures.” I chirp with excitement, waving my arms for effect. “I love it, and I know I will become Queen because I have no other choice, but at least let me live before I do. Let me experience something different other than being Princess” I plead.