CHAPTER-TWENTY SIX - The Last Scene

C H A P T E R - T W E N T Y   S I X 

The curtains closed until the lights dimmed and I was left breathing hard with my cast members next to me. I felt Lucas take my hand close by and gave it a squeeze which lit up my face.

“Did you see Goodman? And those guys next to him? They were all smiling so they must have liked it,” Lucas whispered into my ear as I climbed to the stage and around the back.

“Of course they did and they would have loved your acting.” I smiled knowing how much his meant to him. They were directors and writers who came to watch him. This could be his big break to actually become an actor.

“You did amazing too,” He chimed but I shook my head. I didn’t want to be an actor so I wasn’t that bothered. I just wished I could have sat with the audience and took pictures of the performance. That would have been great.

“Lucas!!” We both turned and saw Gary beckoning Lucas over, “Jake wants to see you.”

Lucas held up a finger to show he’d be there in a minute. He turned to me and pulled me into a hug. His arms wrapped around me and I awkwardly rested my head on his chest and hugged back.

The warmth disappeared when he pulled away. “I’ll be back. Remember to be back on stage in five minutes.” He smiled and headed to where Gary was and then vanished behind the curtains.

I turned and walked to my squished dressing room where I’d dumped all my belongings. I’d left my camera there which I’d taken amazing pictures with and I knew they’d make an amazing collage for my book in Photography class. Then I remembered Lucas had hugged me which warmed my heart. I’d taken more pictures of him on our date and he didn’t protest or call me a stalker.

I pushed open the creaky door to my tiny dressing room and dark shadowy figures advanced. Before I could let out a scream, a hand was clamped over my mouth and my arms pinned around my back. My scream was muffled and I was lifted off my feet. I kicked and thrashed around, things fell to the floor with thuds but I was rendered useless as they carried me away.

***

Lucas Cartwright

Jake patted me on the back and took off down the stairs. He’d praised me and Ava but she wasn’t around. Goodman was back stage now, telling everyone to get back on stage so we could bow but there was no sign of Ava.

“Lucas,” I started and looked up at Goodman. “Where’s Ava? You all can’t go back on stage without her.” He says exasperatedly and I shrug my shoulders.