CHAPTER TWENTY ONE - Poopy and Stinky

C H A P T E R - T W E N T Y  O N E

(Not Proofread)

I yawned loudly and clumsily pulled out a kitchen stool to sit on. My eyes ran over the breakfast laid out and decided on some cereal. Maria always made such a huge breakfast that you wanted to eat but never had room in your stomach.

She smiled with a piece of toast in her mouth. I yawned again and looked around for Joe. His bedroom door was open and showed no sign of life and he wasn’t here either.

“Where’s Joe?” I ask and pour milk on my Frosties.

Maria sighed and the smile faded. “He left early. He got up at5 o’clock.” She said and started washing an apple to eat.

It was the weekend and Henry had left. I missed him but I knew that I’d be seeing him again after the year was up. I hadn’t seen Joe for the past couple of day’s since he’s out. Even after dropping me off at school, he’d leave. I’m not sure Maria knew about that because she’d be furious.

I decide to forget it and eat before changing into some decent clothes to meet Jake and April.

***

There was a knock on the apartment door. I quickly got up and went to answer it before Maria could. April stood there with Jake towering over her and I instantly smiled.

“Are you ready?” Jake beamed and I nodded whilst looking down his face. There was a huge black bruise on the side of his mouth and I could see where his lip had split, nevertheless, I hugged him tightly.

“Yup,” I shut the door behind me and ruffled April’s hair. “Where are we going?” I asked and they both spoke all at once.

“Woah, one at a time because all I heard was ‘Park skating in McDonald’s’” I grinned.

“No, we’re going to the park first. Then we’re going ice-skating and after we’re going to McDonald’s.” April waves her arms and I nod in comprehension. It was a nice idea to be out with friends and I somehow felt guilty for what happened to Jake. I wanted to make it up to him somehow.

I pushed the thoughts away and reached to press the lift button. Before I could, it slid open and I was awestruck.

“Lucas,” I whispered slowly and turned quickly to look at Jake. However his eyes were on the floor.

I saw Lucas side step us and walk past with a furtive glance.

“Where are you going?” I asked for some odd reason to break the thick tension. I could see Lucas biting his tongue and rolling his eyes.

“To my apartment, what does it look like?”  He retorts sarcastically and I wanted to slap myself for being an idiot.