CHAPTER SEVENTEEN - Scared

C H A P T E R - S E V E N T E E N

His lips were warm and nice. My heart beat quickened and a billion thoughts were rushing through my head. He was kissing me without the need to practice for the play or Mr. Goodman telling us to. I wanted to deepen the kiss and move in closer. What else could I have done? So I pushed him away.

Lucas was quite shocked by what I did but my eyes were wide open and my breathing had stopped.

“What,” I choked out with difficulty. “-are you doing? Are you crazy?”

He cursed under his breath and I headed for the door. He blocked my way and I growl loudly.

“Move!” I demanded but he didn’t. As if he’d listen to me.

“I thought that kiss would paralyze you of put you into some shock.” He said and I furrowed my eyebrows.

“I am shocked and a little creeped out.” I practically yelled back. “You’re crazy.” I mutter under my breath and reach for the door handle.

“Tell me what happened that night. Why was a man with a gun chasing after us?”

I pushed past him and opened the door, stepping out into the deserted hallway. I look left and right then walked back to the canteen where there were sane people. I wasn’t walking fast enough so had Lucas caught up with me.

“Who was he?” he asked and I huffed.

“How am I meant to know? I didn’t exactly invite him over to chase us. And he could have been after you.” I shrug and speed walk, my breathing getting faster as I go. Lucas grabbed my arm and stopped me, turning me around to face him.

“We know that’s not true. His first aim was you and if it wasn’t for me, you’d be dead.” He clenched his teeth but his grip on my arms loosened. I sighed and looked down at my feet.

I might as well tell him. Someone has to know but of all the people I could tell – I was telling Lucas. He didn’t even like me, so could I trust him?

I was pulled out of my reverie from the feel of soft skin on my cheek. I took in a shaky breath as Lucas caressed my cheek with the back of his hand. A kind gesture? It was sending shivers down me and warming me up. I wanted to nestle closer to him as the deserted corridor chills surrounded us. He could keep me warm.

“I-“ my voice croaked as I spoke. I cleared my throat. “-I think they’re after me. It’s the third time I’ve seem them with guns.” Finally the thought that someone was trying to kill me, hit me hard. How stupid could I have been? I didn’t tell Maria and Joe because I’d be back inDenmark, but if I didn’t tell them, I’d be dead.

“Why?” He whispered slowly but all I could do was shrug. I didn’t know. I don’t remember doing something so bad that I had to be killed. I didn’t know why they were after me and that scared me a lot.