CHAPTER FIVE - Eventful

New, boring-ish chapter, but this chapter will lead to something good! :) I hope you like it anyway!

____________________________________________________________________________

                                                  C H A P T E R - F I V E

I strolled into the Drama department, my eyes falling on pictures and trophies while I walked past. I chased after April in a run because she was practically racing to get to class while I tried to stay back and scrub off the stain from my top.

As soon as I reached the class door I abandoned my attempt and sighed. I trudged into the class and saw the chairs all in a circle facing the centre. April had already taken her seat and I lazily walked over, my eyes on the blonde boy, leaning back in his chair, his hands behind his head.

He saw me, and when he did I saw a flicker of fear? Or was it anger? It was something but something stirred in my stomach as I sat down, my gaze still on him and his on mine. I don’t know what this staring thing was meant to be doing, maybe intimidating each other? I doubt it’s working. He conclusively looked away, his eyes now on a tall, thin man with dark black hair, pushed back with some gel. It looked good on him and I assumed he was probably in his 30’s. He cleared his throat and the class fell silent.

“Children, welcome, welcome.” She spins on his heels and bows, the class erupting in cheers, and surprisingly even Lucas was clapping with a smile. A genuine smile.

“So, I’m sure you’ve all been in my Drama class before but not with each other. It’s a new year, new students to work with and hello-?”

I looked up and realised that the teacher was staring at me. All the kids followed his gaze. He seemed to be inspecting me, making me nervous and shift in my seat. Thankfully he smiled and gave me his hand. I reluctantly took it as he pulled me up.

“Hello, a new student I presume?” He asks, one eyebrow raised. I nodded wordlessly because I’m sure my voice had gone.

“I see, nice to meet you. I’m Mr. Goodman. No need to worry, everyone in the class has never been together before, so it’ll be weird for them to get along with each other too. It’s because I’ve never really seen you here. So tell me what your name is?” His head leaned forward, now both eyebrows were raised. I tried not to look at the other students, but I failed because my eyes met Lucas’s cold blue ones, smirking delightedly at my discomfort. I wanted to wipe that smug look off his face and punch him. Oh god, this is the worst start to a school year ever. Maybe I should try making peace.

“Av-“ I swallow some saliva since my throat was so dry. I could feel a horrible lump, preventing me to gulp. “Ava Larsen.” I say quietly the smile as kindly as possible, even to Lucas. I tried my best to smile without any taunt, but he just tilted his head, examining me like Mr. Goodman did.

“That’s great. You can sit now.”

I hastily sit back down, tearing away from weird looks from Lucas and focusing on the teacher on the middle.

“We all will take part in a fun project. We’ll all be working together so we’ll get a chance to know each other so, what is this project you ask.” He grinned, doing a little tap dance then twirling. Everyone applauded him including me.

“A play written by the lovely” he did a drum roll on his lap then pointed at April who squeaked. “April Anderson last year from her writing class. It was amazing when I read through it and, I want it to be a play.”

Cheers erupt and everyone’s on their feet, happily chatting and some congratulating April. I smiled at her when Mr. Goodman started handing out thick stapled booklets. It was the scripts. The title read ‘Poison Arrow’ and April explained to me it’s a lovely story between a Princess, destined to marry another Prince. Her life is further taunted by the vengeful villager who was disowned by a royal family, soon begins to fall for the Princess.

I laughed at it mentally. I’m sure it’s a good play, the plot seems understandable, but the Princess and Prince stuff. I can’t ever really escape that. It’s pops up subtly wherever I go.

“Now, before we start, we’ll need the main characters of course. Rosaline and Mathew. We’ll be auditioning for the parts but not everyone will get a role. Remember this play will be performed at the end of the year, meaning we’ll need people for lighting, props, costumes. This will be huge.”

Mr. Goodman spread his arms for effect and added a explosion sound effect for good measure.

Soon after he’d announced that, we all relaxed, people got to know each other and we would start working on this play next lesson. I amazed at how quickly the lesson finished. I sprang up from my seat and made to the door which was blocked by a blonde girl. She had her arms around Lucas when she shrieked.

“A play? I know you’ll be getting the male lead. Such a shame I didn’t take Drama this year.” She pouted and moved in to kiss Lucas, but he turned his head and Paige’s kiss landed on his cheek. She wiped her lips and backed away from him, her eyes catching mine.

“What the hell are you looking at?” She snapped at me.

I shrugged nonchalantly. “Your unappealing face.”

She looked like she’d pounce, her hands balled up into fists and her eyes like daggers. I grabbed April’s arm and broke into a run whilst Jade and the ginger boy held her back, however Lucas was standing back casually. I looked over my shoulder one last time before I’d reached the exit. I held onto the stitch on my side and panted. I sucked in as much air as possible.

April was standing up, healthy as ever. “I have to go.” She said, walking away and twiddling with her hair. I doubt after today she’d want to hang out with me. I’ve messed this up for myself and she didn’t want to be a part of it.

I saw Joe’s new black car across the road and he waved. Before I sprinted off, April called back  “I’ll see you tomorrow.” She smiled and skipped away. I smiled too but not at April but myself. I looked left and right before crossing the busy road and climbed in the car and rested, my head back and heavily breathing.

“How was first day of school?” Joe asked, starting the engine.

I chuckled lightly as first, then sat up straight. “It was…eventful.”

_____________________________________________________________________________

I write this late at night so if it's bad, it's because I was tired :P But please do vote and comment, it makes me happy! :) Thanks x