CHAPTER FIFTEEN - Night-time Chase

C H A P T E R - F I F T E E N

I sat there, slouched in my chair and stifling a yawn. Maria and Joe were next to me and I told them to pretend that Maria was my step mum. So here I am, at school at 7 at night, talking about my progress.

Maria was all smiles but Joe was sitting up straight, all alert as he stiffened up with tension. His eyebrows were furrowed the whole time while watching Mr. Gibson but he was mostly addressing Maria anyway.

I sighed and stood up. “I’m just going to the bathroom, excuse me.” I smiled and headed to the door. I was glad to be away from there and kept walking. I got to the girls bathroom and it was locked. Just my luck but who on earth would be here at this time while the school was deserted.

A few teachers were packing and ready to leave and the school janitor was mopping the halls. I leaned against the wall and groaned when I heard shuffling of feet. My eye widened and I saw a hooded figure walking down a different corridor. My first thought was the men with guns appearing but then this person was walking about like a thief.

Stupidly, I followed. I tiptoed as much as I could and thankfully my converse shoes were letting me walk silently. I often crouched behind lockers or stood in the shadows. I thought I was safe but then they turned, the hood covered their eyes. I gasped and yelped when they did and thought I was dead.

“You just keep stalking.” He threw his hood back and I was surprised to see Lucas, smirking. He crossed his hand over his chest and looked down at me, the cheeky smile not faltering.

“Talking of stalking,” I say slowly and approach him with my own arms folded. “What are you doing at school at this hour? Stalking me were you? Because it looked like you were spying me.” I said smugly and put on a smile.

“I could ask you the same.” He retorts but I keep glaring when he sighs. “Fine. I followed you in here.” He confesses but I’m not sure what I’m supposed to think about that. “I was on my way to Jake’s house when I saw you and your parents walking into the school. I was going to forget it and head to Jake’s house but instead I wanted to see why you were here.”

“Well I had an appointment with Mr. Gibson.” I explain but the smile on my face stayed. “So you were stalking. Funny turn of events, huh?” I taunt and he sniggers.

“Okay, maybe I let my curiosity get the better of me. Now I’m going.” He said and side stepped me. I let him pass when his face went pale. The lights outside had gone off and there were no cars in the parking lot apart from ours. From the look on Lucas’ face I grabbed his hand.

“Are you okay?” I asked and followed his gaze. A man stood there with dark brown hair spiked up with gel. He grinned and I’d call him good looking if he didn’t have a gun in his hand. My hand, that was still clutched into Lucas’ tightened. The man rained his gun and aimed, the blast echoing so loudly but I didn’t have enough time to see as I was slammed into a wall behind some lockers.

Lucas had grabbed me and pinned me to the wall. He grabbed my hand and we ran for it, ducking bullets and rounding corners. Everyone must have left now, no janitor, no teachers apart from…Mr. Gibson and Maria and Joe. They must have heard the gun shot.