CHAPTER TWENTY THREE - Hiding Something

C H A P T E R - T W E N T Y   T H R E E

Maybe I had spoken too soon. With everything with the date and Lucas – something very important slipped my mind.

I only remembered when several men in long black trench coats appeared with guns. I watched across the pond as they entered the park. Lucas had followed my gaze and clasped onto my hand.

“It looks like we’ve got some unwanted visitors.” He whispered into my ear. We slightly duck and silently ran off the bridge. We get out of view by some bushes and walked over to the gate we came through.

“You still haven’t told your parents, have you?” He asked and I shake my head only to realise he couldn’t see me since he was walking ahead. “No, I didn’t know how to.”

“Ava, you have to tell them. Go to the police. Those men want to kill you and I think you’re hiding something from me.” He says and I stop in my tracks. He turns around but I give him a questioning glare. “Hiding something from you?” I repeat and he sighs. I could hear distant chatter of those men who wanted me dead. “I don’t know why they’re trying to kill me.” I snap back in a loud whisper.

He runs his hands through his hair. “Maybe because of something that you’ve done?” He says and I try to think. What had I done? Nothing. I just came toLondonto get away from Denmark and being a princess. It’s all I asked for and now I have assassin’s trailing me.

“I don’t know.” I say, defeated and scared. Lucas comes back and grabs my wrist. “Fine, but I know you’re still hiding something and we have to go to the police and tell your parents.” He says.

I groan in frustration and roll my eyes. “Why do you think I’m hid-“ The stone fountain near us shattered and pieces of it fell everywhere. I screamed and broke out into a run with Lucas. I looked back and saw them aim and shoot again but there was no sound. The gun obviously had a silencer on.

We ran out of the large gates and speeded down the road. The roar of a loud engine filled the silent street and my heart hammered against my chest. I looked back and saw the black jeep driving down the road.

Lucas pulled me into a narrow street that was an alleyway. I caught up with him and clutched on tightly to his hand.

“We have to get home,” he said, more to himself but I couldn’t agree more. My foot ached from wearing heels and the running has made it worse. When we emerged into a street, most of the lights were burnt out. This only freaked me out more that I was running again to get to someplace with life. No-one was in sight. It reminded me of I am Legend – being the only ones left on earth. However, I knew every very well of the killers chasing us.

“Ava,” Lucas whispered but my eyes and ears were on a car that was parked at the side. It was black but the engine came to life and reversed out of the road. I caught the last two letters of the license plate that read RA. Something seemed odd about it and familiar but I couldn’t pin it down.