CHAPTER ELEVEN - Hurt

C H A P T E R - E L E V E N

The weekend had rushed past without leaving enough time for me to relax. I honestly felt the days were mocking me as it was Wednesday and the week seemed to be dragging whereas the two days off comes then goes.

I yawned and pushed the heavy glass, holding it open for the next person behind me. I was expecting today to be as same as yesterday and the day before. Boring. But funnily there was entertainment. Paige was a few lockers down, surrounded by Jade and a few other girls…crying.

Was she really crying? Her mascara was running down her eyes, leaving black smudges and her eyes were red and blood shot. The sticky tears stained her clear skin and she sniffed an awful lot.

She was pulled into an awkward hug by Jade and I slowly walked to a locker that wasn’t mine but hoped to catch something from their conversation.

“I can’t believe it, why would he do such a thing now. It’s been nearly 7 months and now?” started Jade and few other girls muttered their agreement. I scrunched up my face hoping they’d skip to the main event or give me some clue to why Paige was crying like this.

“He didn’t even give a proper reason.” Paige sobbed and my eyes widened. He? He could mean Lucas, or her dad, or maybe her brother? But I kept on listening, pretending to wait for April by the lockers when I was fully aware she was here an hour earlier for the performance discussion with Mr. Goodman.

“How could he do something like this but not even tell me why.” Paige brawled and I caught a glimpse of her crying onto Jade’s shoulder and was clearly smearing black mascara all over Jade’s pale pink blouse.

The glass door swung open was a faint humming sound, almost like a ‘whoosh’. At the doorway stood Lucas and Jake with Bradley trudging after them. What I found funny was that he didn’t look at me but gave a slight cold glare at Paige. She whimpered and soon enough he walked away down the hall, Bradley following suit. However Jake stayed back, smiling at me and making his way over. I noticed a pleasant aroma approach as he did. It smelt of honey. I didn’t like honey but it was a good smell.

“Hi Ava. What are you doing here?” He asked, pulling up the strap of his backpack further onto his shoulder. My mind was blank so I had to quickly recollect. I was eavesdropping but telling that to Jake wouldn’t sound amazing. So I lied.

“I’m waiting for April.” I say and smile at him. He chuckles softly and shakes his head.

“Oh silly you. Remember she came to school and hour early because Goodman told her to?”

I faked realisation and slapped myself in the head. I doubt it looked real but it had to be somewhat convincing since I was the lead in the school play.

“Oh yeah, I forgot.” I said stupidly following Jake down the corridor. I looked back at Paige, wondering what they were all talking about. I decided to ask Jake. What harm could it do?

I cleared my throat and spoke, “Paige is crying,” I began softly, edging my way into the topic. Maybe Jake knew what was up since his best friend is Paige’s boyfriend. “She seems a little upset.”