Chapter Eight

It was now the beginning of the second week of the 'friendship arrangement' and Camila had yet to pour on the Cabello charm. She and the raven-haired girl still bickered and Lauren would continue to send her flirty suggestions that Camila knew would result to nothing.

It was early morning, and herds of teens filled the high school courtyard. Camila and Mendes were standing near the stairs by the cafeteria. This had always been their early morning hangout spot before class since they were sophomores.

"So, it's been a week now. Have you figured out a plan yet?" Mendes asked.

"A plan?"

"For Lauren."

Camila sighed heavily adjusting the weight of her backpack on her shoulders.

"I haven't seen any change yet," Mendes continued. "And you two are still at each other's throats. So you have a plan?"

"No, not really..." Camila mumbled. "Why can't I just continue to be a jerk to her? That makes me more comfortable."

"Camila, come on. Do you like the girl or not?"

The brunette sheepishly lowered her eyes and lightly kicked a pebble that was on the ground. "I already told you I do."

"Well, it's time to put your big girl pants on." He looked over Camila's shoulder and smiled lightly. "And now's the time because she's heading this way."

Camila perked up and looked across the courtyard. Amongst the throng of students, the brunette immediately spotted Lauren. Camila's heart fluttered when she saw the vision in a fashionable dress with matching heels heading towards them. The sunlight was reflecting off Lauren's hair in just the right way, making it appear as she was an angel. Why did she have to be so beautiful?

Camila finally shook out of her trance and looked at her friend. "Mendes, how does she know where to find us?"

"I told her," he simply shrugged.

"You what?" Camila asked, grabbing the collar of his shirt.

Mendes held his hands out to the sides in surrender. "Chill, Camila. I thought you'd be cool with it." He looked down at the hand gripping his shirt. "And you're supposed to be working on playing nice, remember?"

Camila looked down at her own hand and frowned before releasing Mendes's shirt. Lauren had not seemed to notice the action and approached them with a bright smile on her face. "Good morning, Shawn... Camila."

"Good morning," Mendes replied. He looked at Camila who was just silently staring at Lauren. He bumped her in the arm.

"Hey..." Camila finally said.

An awkward silence fell between them. Camila had no idea what to say and she was sure Mendes was waiting for her to initiate a chat. Lauren, on the other hand, was just at a loss for words as Camila and stood there, feeling the uncomfortable tension build between all three of them... until Mendes finally spoke. Thank God.

"Hey, Lauren? Are you any good at Math?"

Lauren quirked her head to the side in a manner that Camila thought was cute. "It's not my favourite subject but yes. I'm quite the mathematician at times."

"That's good to hear because Camila was just telling me that she needed some help for a test that's coming up tomorrow."

"I was?" Camila asked, frowning.

Mendes cleared his throat loudly and eyed Camila, hoping she'd catch on. A light bulb suddenly went off in Camila's brain and she realized what Mendes was doing. "Uh... oh, yea, yea, I was."