- Chapter nine - The Border Blues

A scream echoed shrilly in the night, full of agony and terror.

A dangerous laugh cackled deeply, seeming to be satisfied.

Blood dropped in thick spats from the innocent woman, it ran from her mouth in gurgling streams, her eyes held all the pain in the world.

She reached out to him, calling him to help, but he only watched in the dull headlight glow as she crawled to him, her body twisted and torn in a fatal way.

He backed up slowly as she got nearer, taunting her, teasing her in her dying pleas.

"I trusted you" she cried, her tears hot streaks of blood.

Karr awoke with a terrible startle, his engine firing up with a loud scream, his mind racing.

Casey jumped instantly, his head hitting the window it had been resting on, and he cussed loudly.

"What the hell Karr?" He asked, rubbing his head.

Casey looked out the window, watching how the sun sat just behind the horizon, coloring the clouds pink and orange. They sat outside what looked like a motel, in a far corner of their parking lot, and Casey figured they had reached the border in the night.

"I.. I'm sorry" Karr stuttered, sounding startled. I think I had a dream.

"You can dream?" Casey asked, pulling his hand away from his temple.

"Sometimes." Karr answered, shutting his engine off. "But it's rare."

"Must have been pretty terrible to wake you like that." Casey said, rubbing his head once more.

"I suppose." Karr said faintly.

Casey thought for a moment about asking Karr more, but instead a more pressing matter arose in his mind.

"Uh.. Karr?" He said. "I'm starving."

"Ah yes." Karr laughed, his mood seeming to lighten. "The human condition continues."

"And I have to pee."

"Well that's nice" Karr remarked, his amber scanner pacing back and fourth.

"I'm serious." Casey whined. "And if you don't hurry up then you'll just have to buy some seat cleaner." He joked.

Casey laughed as Karr's engine fired up immediately, a deep rumbling growl with a low whine. It reminded Casey more of a v8 mixed with a jet engine now.

Karr pulled away from his parking spot, and turned back to the road. They were in a little tiny town just north of the border. To Casey it looked a bit like a tornado picked up some buildings in the neighbor states and then just dropped them randomly in a tight cluster.

Karr eased to a stop where the road began, waiting for a single old Lincoln to pass, before he crossed the small road to a gas station just across from the little dinky motel.

Karr turned into one of the gas pump slots, and switched his engine off.

"Do your thing. I'll be here waiting." He said. "Need money?"

"No" Casey scoffed, getting out.

Casey grabbed the glass window on the door, his knees threatening to give out. He had been in the car for hours, all of yesterday's late afternoon, and all through the night.

From inside the car he heard Karr laugh, but it was light and humorous, and it made Casey laugh too.

"Wasn't expecting that." He said, closing the door turning away.