Memories

Today was a gloomy day to be awake, the sun was blocked by the ever-looming grey clouds in the sky. I sighed and walked out my door into the lonely streets of my home town. I walked by the old playground and found it to be empty... no children, no one. I slowly approached the swing-set and sat on a single swing. I listened to the wind blow against the trees and it sways the unoccupied swings. The creaking of the rusty chains reminded me of when we would play here and close our eyes and pretend the creaking was the chirping of the birds, as if we were flying with them. I smiled as I imagined those times. I get up and head to the eldest tree in the park and sat against its trunk. I remembered the times in our youth where we would discuss topics well beyond our years. I smiled again, I always enjoyed listening to your thoughts on how the world could become better with such simple solutions and that we could be so much happier and successful if it weren't for societies barriers. I stood up off the ground and walked to the small little creek that we used the race twigs and watch the minnows and tadpoles swim around. The creek was almost gone but it still had some life in it, I smiled, no matter how much all the kids tried to dam it up, it would still flow through. I finally reached the white vine arch, where we always dreamt of who we would marry under it. I always imagined us, happily married and in beautiful clothing, as radiant as ever. A single tear ran down my face. Remembering the pain I felt that I would lose you to someone else. I move on to my last place. Your grave, I lost my composure and I cried, I cried until my eyes went dry, for I knew that I would never see your beautiful smile again or feel your warm embrace. It was all over, and it had been, for a long while now. I will never forget you.. just like you would never forget me. But I'm afraid all I have left is our memories.