- chapter - three -

"So, what exact ability has she manifested?" Councilor Emery opened the meeting. "It certainly had to be important enough to call us here instead of sending a report." 

"She's manifested as a pyrokinetic," Master Leto informed, sending me a gentle smile as if sensing my nerves. 

"That's fantastic, you could be an extreme use to us," Councilor Emery stated, looking at me with wide eyes. 

I felt self conscious as he studied me. "I just want to train to keep my abilities under control and not have anyone know about them."

"I'm afraid that might as well be impossible," Councilor Terik spoke up, a frown on his face. "With such a rare ability, it's sure to get out."

"That's why I brought up what happened with my mom," Eamon interrupted. 

"What about me?" Sophie Foster looked to her son and I studied their similar features. While Eamon might have become the epitome of his father personality wise, the physical resemblance definitely catered his mother. Especially with the abnormal brown eyes. 

"He's referencing the first few months you were here when no one knew of your abilities," Master Leto clarified. 

Keefe Foster, who had silently trailed in behind his wife, looked to the councilors beside him. "Is that possible?"

"I mean, it might be a little more difficult than it was for mom," Leulla informed, pointing to Sophie. "But it's not impossible. Especially with Novena's parents being talentless, everyone would believe she was as well." 

"Maybe one of her parents isn't actually talentless, and was supposed to be a pyrokinetic but never had the chance to discover the ability," Eamon thought out loud and my eyes snapped to him. 

"It doesn't matter, I don't want to tell them about this," I stated. 

"Am I hearing you correctly?" Councilor Emery looked to me with surprise. 

"When I said I wanted to keep this ability a secret, I meant it. If my parents found out I manifested as a pyrokinetic, they would go insane. It's obvious what everyone thinks about pyrokinetics." 

I regretted my words when I noticed Marella flinch in the corner. 

"If you plan to go into the elite levels, you have to manifest," Councilor Oralie brought up, a small frown on her face. "That's in another year for you, correct?" 

"Yes," I told her. "But honestly I don't mind not going into the elite levels, being a part of the nobility will never matter to me." 

The look Eamon's mom gave to me had me feeling slightly self-conscious, because it was as if she was looking into my soul. "Can I speak to her alone for a moment?" Sophie asked everyone and I was taken back as everyone slowly left the office, Keefe and Eamon playfully slapping at each other as they left. Sophie looked at her husband and son and sighed, starting to rub her temples as if gaining a headache. I'd feel the same if I lived with Keefe and Eamon Foster willingly. 

I started to study her. This woman in front of me literally made history, and I once had to read an entire textbook dedicated to her legacy. She also gave birth the the worst person I probably knew, although I was slowly hating Eamon less as the meeting continued. It meant a lot that he was helping me out and offering solutions. 

"What triggered your ability?" Sophie asked, and I frowned at the question. 

"What?" I asked, confused. I thought she was going to persuade me to share my ability with the world. 

"I just find it a bit disheartening that everyone is focusing so much on forcing you to bring out your ability without even knowing what triggered it in the first place," she replied. "I'm also curious on what my son has to do with it."