- chapter - twenty - one -

That Monday when I had to return back to school could be compared to that moment after someone dumps a bucket of water over your head. Confusing, and a struggle at first to figure out how to breathe once more, but eventually I cleared the water from my eyes and blinked enough to capture my surroundings and get back to reality. 

How could I look my friends in the eyes knowing full well my father was once part of a rebellion group, the one that their parents almost died fighting against. Then I would remind myself that my father left the group as soon as the focused shifted to simply antagonizing the Black Swan. My father was a good man, and I knew that. I just wanted everyone else to feel the same. 

Should I tell them?

That's the main question that constantly circled through my mind. Was it important enough to share? Would anything change if I did? Would it have a negative effect if I didn't? 

I was standing at my locker, collecting my thoughts and my things, as Blythe made her way over me grinning. "You must have had an interesting weekend!" 

I snorted. "Yeah, that's one way to put it," I replied, making sure to give her a quick smile so she knew I wasn't ignoring her before I turned back to my locker to continue switching out the books I would need for my class. 

"Did your parents ever get around to telling you the big family secret they've been keeping from you?" she questioned curiously. 

"Yeah," I responded without explaining any further. I was done switching out my books and closed my locker so I could turn to her and give my full attention. 

"Are you going to share or...?" She looked at me expectantly. 

"I'm not sure." I looked off to the side and noticed Eamon standing with his cousins, looking to be in a deep conversation. Specifically with Serena. I let out a sigh and confessed, "It was a really big secret and I'm not sure if I'm supposed to tell. If I'm allowed, I have to be realistic. I can't just shout it out here in public where people's ears might be a bit too open." 

"Well, yeah, I get that," Blythe replied, rolling her eyes. "Just, I'm very interested to know. Was it really that big?"

"It was pretty big, and also pretty bad," I admitted. "I definitely don't want to talk about it, my parents didn't seem all to eager to share the moment either." I let out a small huff before moving into the direction for my first class. 

"Alright, well, we'll meet up at lunch like normal, right?" Blythe smiled gently at me. 

"Of course," I responded, returning her smile with my own. "I love you," I practically sang. 

"I love you too," she echoed before turning into the opposite direction to go to where she needed to be. 

My morning session, thankfully, went off without a hitch and I was able to get a control over my emotions and be able to focus entirely on my studies. I knew with all of the drama going on in the background of my life, it could be easy for me to drift away from school. But I also knew that due to the fact that I was coming from two parents who, according to the view of society, never manifested into any abilities, it was especially important that I proved my worth through my schooling. I was one of the top students in our level and I refused to let myself down. 

By the time lunch came around, I had almost completely pushed the weekend's events out of my mind and was able to walk around with a real grin on my face. That was, until I walked up to the lunch table and the only person sitting there was Serena, looking at me with narrowed eyes and her arms crossed. I wasn't sure what to do, and being me my reaction was stand awkwardly next to the table and look at her in confusion.