- chapter - twenty - two -

i'm sorry it took a few hours longer than i thought to post. i really thought it was still "today" and then i looked at the clock as i was about to post and saw that in my timezone it is around 12:30am haha 

After what seemed to be the longest school day of my career so far, the realization that the day had still not ended was miserable news. I was at a point where I just wanted to crawl into my bed and relax as much as possible, but when I exited the school and noticed Serena waiting for me, I knew that my wants would not be manifested. 

Taking in a deep breath, I made the small trek to where she stood and tried my hardest to smile. "Hey," I greeted, not sure what else to say. 

"Let's get in line," she said, her tone almost bored. She whipped around and moved towards the line at the Leapmaster, expecting me to follow her--which I did. 

Usually after school my parents wouldn't care too much about me coming straight home, and would assume if I didn't come straight to the house I was either at the restaurant or Blythe's home. In case of an emergency, I figured it would probably be a good idea to contact them and explain my whereabouts, but at the same time I was hoping that my conversation with Serena would take a limited time and I could be home soon anyways. 

Once we had leaped to her home I called my mother and explained where I was as Serena's father, Dex Dizznee, greeted her and started asking her questions about how her school day was going, any homework she needed to complete, and if I was planning to stay for dinner. 

I got off the call just as the last question was asked, and Serena turned to me with narrowed eyes, as if warning me. "Sorry, but I won't be able to," I responded politely. "My parents will be expecting me back by then." 

"Your parents are the ones who own that restaurant, right?" her father questioned. "The one Keefe is doing the mural for?" 

"That's the one," I acknowledged, almost having forgotten that was happening. I remember people mentioning it to me prior, but still it wasn't something I was stuck upon. 

He smiled at me in response before turning back to his daughter. "Your mom was having trouble earlier with some shipments so I'm going to head over there to see if I can help out or to probably just bring her some food if she's hungry. We might end up out a little late, is there anything specific you want me to bring you back for dinner?" 

She smiled back, and I was almost confused at the complete innocent look on her face as she responded, "No, don't worry about me dad, I'll be alright. After Novena leaves I'll probably just head over to Mika's and eat there." I practically cringed at her use of my full first name, barely anyone called me Novena. 

Her father's eyes narrowed slightly, and he tilted his head in worry. "You and Eamon still not talking?" 

Her eyes flashed to mine for a moment before looking back at Dex. "Dad, don't worry about it. Go see mom." She practically pushed him towards the Leapmaster, and after a few moments where they said their goodbyes, I still stayed silent after he disappeared. 

"Sorry about that," she eventually broke the silence, her tone once again almost bored. 

"Your dad is really nice," I responded, giving her a tight smile. 

"I know," she responded, not smiling back and her words lacking enthusiasm. She motioned for me to follow her, which I did, and we made our way through the large house before reaching her bedroom, which was on what seemed to be the fourth floor. 

"How many floors does this place have?" I questioned, studying her room as I asked. I had never quite wondered what her bedroom would look like, but whatever I had expected is definitely not what it appeared to be. The walls were a relatively neutral creamed colors, with the finer detailing, such as door frames and the window panels, being a light pink. Her walls were covered in pictures of her family, and just above her bed she had a small collage specifically made of pictures of her with Eamon and Mika. Beside her bed was a small table which had a framed photo of her parents on what I would assume to be their wedding day.