- chapter - twenty - three

Maruca is mentioned for a second and so far I couldn't find a cannon last name for her, so because she's related to Wylie for the sake of this fanfiction and until she gets a last name given by shannon, I put Endal. 

there is a brief reference to something from legacy if you haven't read that yet, and that reference is going to become something bigger in this book. still, i stray away from going into the specifics of how this idea was used in legacy itself. 

pretty long one bc if i don't know what to write and get writers block i end up writing too much haha. Anyways happy reading!

*

I was convinced this was going to be the longest day of my life, because when I got home it wasn't only my parents waiting for me--although that was strange in itself. I was surprised to see Sophie and Keefe Foster sitting on the couch in my living room, Eamon standing more towards the corner of the room awkwardly shifting his balance between his feet as his sister stood beside him. 

"Oh good, you're home!" my mother cheered once she saw me, although I could see straight through the cheery exterior. She hated the Foster family, it was no secret to anyone. 

"Hey," I greeted lamely, moving towards my mother, who was sitting on the couch, and sending her a small wave of my hand. My dad, who was standing behind the couch, positioned so he was standing directly behind her, rested his hand gently onto my shoulder, applying enough pressure for me to realize he wanted me to sit down next to my mom. When I did, my mother wrapped her arm around my shoulder. "I thought I was supposed to have a meeting with some people from the council," I stated, confused. 

"You are," Sophie replied, flashing me with a comforting smile, "but so is my son. We were asked to take you somewhere your parents do not have a direct access to, so my daughter has asked me to take you with us."  

"Oh," I replied not know what else to say. I turned to my other beside me. "And you're okay with this?"

"Of course I am, sweetie," her forced smile and tone of voice made it seem the opposite. "Your father and I are going to going to the restaurant with Mr. Foster and see how the mural is going." She flashed a winning smile at Keefe, although I knew that she didn't like him and the only reason she wanted the mural was to create a dialogue with customers--and the only reason he was creating the mural, was because he was the best suited for the job. 

"Okay," I responded. She stood up, and I followed suit. I gave both my parents quick hugs, and my father gave one hard stare in Sophie's direction before smiling at Keefe and gesturing towards the direction of our Leapmaster. When they were gone, I release a breath I didn't know I was holding. 

"I'm sorry if they said anything," I immediately stated, worried. "They were upset you knew about my ability before them." What I said was the truth, but I also was not mentioning the fact they simply did not like her to begin with. 

"Your parents are kind," Sophie said, waving her arm. 

"Just intense," Eamon snorted, and she didn't hesitate to lightly whack him behind the head with her hand. "Ow, mom!" he immediately rubbed the back of his head, frowning at her. "That hurt."

"Good," she responded, and I let out a snort of my own. She pulled out a leaping crystal from her pocket, but I got confused upon the sight of it. 

"That's a blue crystal," I pointed out to her, wondering how many leaping crystals she had in her pocket and possibly if she grabbed the wrong one. "Isn't that for the forbidden cities?" I questioned further when she didn't put it away. 

She nodded her head, "Yes, that does seem to be where we're going." She flashed me a smile and held out her hand to me. "Don't be worried--and don't feel pressured. Those are the two most important pieces of advice I can give."