Chapter 8-Bonding & Benevolence

Our school's security guard who was always on duty stood outside talking to someone.
I was going to stop and tell him we were leaving since we had no classes but Mia grabbed my hand and continued walking.
It was only when we were walking down the road that I realised she was still holding my hand.
It felt nice.
"Did you get a hard time from your parents last night?",Mia asked finally realising she was holding my hand and then releasing the grip she had on me.
"No,everything was actually okay",I said with a nod.
"I was thinking about you."
"You were?"
"Well yeah,I don't like you being hurt."
"It's my life Mia,what can I do?",I chuckled.
She shook her head.
I realised that this was really affecting her and so I decided it was best to talk about something else.
"Adam pulled some strings and got me a tryout for the soccer team after school",I said as we neared the entrance of the restaurant.
"Please don't become a stuck up jerk once you make the team."
"Who knows if I'll even make the team",I shrugged and opened the door for us to enter.
"You will."
"I promise I won't become a stuck up jerk once I make the team",I said with a smile as we naturally made our way to a corner booth.
"Thank you."
A waitress came over to us and smiled,she was young and eyed me as if I was a piece of meat.
"What can I get you today?",she asked me,totally ignoring Mia's presence.
"Two triple chocolate milkshakes for me and my girl please",I smiled.
The waitress raised her eyebrows,looked at Mia and then left.
"Your girl?",Mia questioned with a smile.
"Sorry,she scared me",I sighed.
Mia giggled a little and a piece of her hair cascaded down the side of her face.
I resisted the urge to reach over and tuck it behind her ear.
"How is it possible?",I asked.
"How is what possible?"
"The fact that you're so damn beautiful",I said and regretted it straight after.I couldn't help myself and now she was just staring at me as if I insulted Zayn Malik who I knew she was crazy in love with because of the posters on the walls in her room.
"I'm not",she finally said looking down.
"You are."
Before she could reply the waitress arrived with our milkshakes.
I nodded at her as she set them down on the table and gave me a smile before leaving.
"You should get her number",Mia said as she placed a straw into her milkshake.
"Yeah I should,Kaylin would surely be interested",I smiled.
"And you?You're not interested",she asked sipping on her milkshake.
"Obviously not,I have my eyes on a special girl",I replied taking a sip of my milkshake and processing the cold feeling it brought to my mouth.
"Special?Like special needs?",Mia asked smirking.
"Obviously",I rolled my eyes and then we both laughed.
"You know I don't know what it is about you,I just feel so comfortable around you,I don't know if you noticed but I'm very self effaced",Mia shrugged.
"Yet here you are,with me.",I reminded her as I looked straight into her brown eyes.

"Because there's milkshakes
involved",she nodded teasingly.
I rolled my eyes.
"Your mom is really nice she said I'm handsome",I said proudly.
"She means a lot to me",Mia shrugged.
"Is it because of your dad passing that she spends most of her time at home?",I asked curiously.
Mia nodded.
"If it helps her feel like he's still around then why shouldn't she sit in front of the television and watch Coronation Street?I don't want her to hurt and if not facing reality prevents that then what the hell",Mia sighed and I noticed a little tear in her eye.

"I get it,you want to protect her",I said handing her a napkin.
Her eyes lit up as she took the napkin from me.
"Exactly,you're like the only one who gets that",she replied and wiped the tear away from her eye.
"I'm sorry,I don't even know why I'm telling you all this. Opening up is really hard for me",she added.
"Explanation?",I inquired.
"I think that's enough emotions for one day,uh what is the time?",Mia said with a chuckle as she sipped on her milkshake.
I didn't push,when she was ready she would tell me but for some reason I knew this had something to do with that Trent guy that I have yet to see.

"It's eleven forty",I said glancing down at my watch.
"Already?Time went quite fast,do you want to head back?",Mia asked finishing the last bit of her milkshake.
"If you are satisfied",I smiled looking down at her empty glass.
"Yes sir,thank you",she said with a smile.
I pulled out my wallet and slipped out a twenty dollar bill.
"Oh how much do you need?",she asked stuffing her hand into her pocket.
"Don't worry,I got it",I assured her.
"No",she said handing me a ten dollar bill.
"Mia."
"Jamie."
I ignored her and left the money on the table.
I turned to leave and Mia rolled her eyes at me.
"Thank you,but next time I'm paying",she shrugged.
"No."
"You sure are stubborn",Mia snarked.
"Thank you."
We exited the restaurant and began the walk back to school.
"So you know a lot about me,yet I know nothing about you",she shrugged.
"You know more than most people",I assured her.
"Come on kid,tell me something."
"Okay,uhh I like dolphins."
"Dolphins?"
"Yes,Mia,Dolphins.Why are you a dolphin hater?"
"Far from it,more of a unicorn lover though."
"Unicorns?huh why not",I smiled.